Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyres sliding out in the rain

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by FoxRiderJ, Feb 25, 2013.

1. #1 FoxRiderJ, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Unsure if in the right section. Please move if need be.

So i was one of the 'loco' riders who braved the storms in Sydney this past saturday... about 10 minutes into my trip, in mid turn of a fairly standard side-street turn off, i felt both my tires slide out from under me and about to go into a lowside. I managed to save it by planting my foot onto the ground and bouncing back upright like a spring. I also luckily avoided going straight up the gutter as i target fixated on it.

For the experienced wet-weathered riders here: where did i go wrong? This was a standard turn off, i had to navigate sharper turns on the way to this particular area. I was going fairly slow into the turn.

I thought maybe there was oil on the road but looking back i couldn't see any. My treads are about 70%. I'm stumped to what could have caused it. Cold tires? Sudden throttle application maybe? I'm trying to learn from this but i'm unsure exactly as to what happened.

Can anyone shed a light / anecdote on this?

2. Last Saturday had some pretty heavy rain... any chance you were aquaplaning? (I noticed plenty of gutters overloaded with leaves or simply incapable of handling the volume of water forcing it further onto the driving surface.) You discounted oil/diesel on the road but can you be sure? Any rainbows further along past this particular turn? It would need to be pretty fresh considering how much rain we got Friday/Saturday though.

3. I would say you lost traction.Either there was something slippery there,unlikely in heavy rain or the bike aquaplaned.Was there a stream running there,deep puddle.You need the right air pressure in the tyre to clear water.Good on you for saving it,not easy with the front going.Like flying and landing,any save is a good one.Now you know what that feels like you have a bank of knowledge for next time.I don't seek out wet riding but enjoy it when it happens.You need to be ultra smooth to avoid overloading the tyres.Be gentle with all inputs,steering throttle and especially braking.
    My dad used to say keep up high on the crown of the road,I expect any crap would end up washing down low.

4. If lots or rain, really wet road I tend to take turns from a major road on to a side street at walking pace, concentrating on keeping the bike as upright as possible. It's not so much a case of slowing down as riding differently when it's wet.

5. Never actually heard the term 'aquaplaning' before, had to look it up. Thanks guys. The description of it sounds like what happened, but there was no big puddles around.

Blaise i'll admit i didn't stop afterward the incident to immidately check the area for rainbows, and by the time i was on my way home Sunday afternoon the area had dried out - but as you said, heavy rain would've washed out oil since this was about 4pm Saturday arvo.

I'm gonna chalk it up to a terrible combination of cold tires, bad throttle application and aquaplaning. Good food for thought guys thanks again.

6. Well it sounds like your natural reactions are alright since you saved it.

7. Because we can only speculate on the cause the other two things to watch out for in the wet

Painted lines.

Change of surface, I will usually stand the bike slightly more upright on a new surface if it changes in the bends. Then test he new surface.

But riding in the wet is all about being smooth.