Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tyres question

Discussion in 'Supermoto' at netrider.net.au started by BiG DaN91, Jul 12, 2013.

1. what tyres is everyone running on their sumos?

time for some fresh rubber on my drz and struggling to decide

thinking bridgestone s20 in 120/70 front and 150/60 rear but worried about longevity

or maybe avon distanzias? would be nice to do a bit more offroad stuff

2. Pirelli Scorpion Sync - mostly road tyre, does OK on tarmac. Offroad... I just run 15 psi and don't hope for much traction anyway

3. Go the S20s, they lasted fine for me on a Speed Triple and an R1, I dont think a chicken chaser will have any issues ripping through them

4. I'm running Dunlop roadsmarts. To life and grip out of them. However cos I do around 3 track days a month ill probably go for some conti attack sm next

5. I'm using Pirelli Diaboli Rosso II 150/60s on my DRZ which are noticeably better than the 1s but they still take a while to warm up. They're ok in the wet but once at operating temperature do allow you to lay it over a lot (dual compound, unlike the 1s). They weren't too pricey and you could probably fit 160s, just be aware they're heavier for little gain.

Don't get talked into standard sportsbike tyres for your sumo - they're designed for higher pressures and weight so can be too hard for a light bike like ours.

6. I use distanzas and like them