Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tyres - Michelin Pilot Activ's

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by nibor, Mar 3, 2008.

1. hey guys. im not really in need of a new set of tyres yet, but i'd rather know what i what before i need it.

i've had these suggested for me, im on a VTR250. has been said someone else runs them on their VTR250, so obviously i can get them for mine. im after a tyre that offers great grip (duh), but still needs to handle a bit of distance as i do ALOT of km's. and also handle wet weather riding, as my bike is my car :)

that said, i dont want a sh!tty grip tyre which may last me 20,000km, but will lose it when im really pushing the bike towards its limits. sometimes i like to ride harder than other times :wink:, so it needs to be able to cope with this.

another reason it was suggested, is ive been told im getting close to the limits of my bike, cornering wise. so i cant change the bike profile, my style is pretty alright i'd like to think, i cant hang off any moe or i wont be attached to the bike :p so the other option suggested, was change the profile of the tyre. i've been told this will fit the bill.

any comments on the tyres themselves, and the general situation, would be great.

Nibs :)

2. Hey Robin,

If you're on a VTR250 and you're after SERIOUS grip, then you can't go past the Dunlop GPR-ALPHA 10! Theres no comparison. They are a bit expensive at around $380 a set, but will stick to the road like glue and will have you cornering like Casey in no time! :wink:

I can't say enough about these tyres mate. Do yourself a favour.

BTW, I believe their predecessor - the GPR70 - was used in 250GP racing as a control tyre for a while. Decent pedigree...

They come in a 140 rear for std VTR or you can get a 150 if you wanted to go slighlty wider. Have fun mate - Here's a link:

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=DUN&mtpcode=80185&from=nPerPage

*EDIT*

vtw: I should also point out that the first time I ran the 'Spur was in the pissing rain on a set of these. They heat up exceptionally quickly and I was able to still get some serious lean without slippage that day.