Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tyres - hard to get??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Drew, Jul 20, 2006.

1. just checking out things for a potential bike :grin:

how hard is it to get 16" front tyres, i have read they can be hard to source so though i'd ask around.

or failing that,

what is involved with replacing a front wheel with a more common size? 17"??

I would think things like brakes would have to be repositioned or replaced?, front guard as well.

cheers

2. 16" tyres aren't hard to get, there are abundance of stocks out there. I didn't have trouble sourcing for 16"s for my gpx.

3. ok that what i wanted to hear..... thanks.

4. 16s and 17s are pretty standard sizes, most places should have them.

I've had trouble sourcing 18s for the back of my little ninja. Most places can order them in no probs, but I've yet to find a place that has them on the shelf, ready to go.

5. What others said! 18's and 19's are the hard ones to find, but they are around. I had to get mine in from Perth for the Z.

Regards, Andrew.

6. Depends on what sort of bike you're talking about. Many different sized wheels will go straight on with the discs lining up with the calipers.

7. well the tyre on this bike are fairly new so i shouldn't need to worry about it for a while.

plus its a single cycinder so i won't exactly be thrashing the jigger either

8. 16" tyres always available.

9. Even if a 17" fitted straight on there is more to it as it produces a change in the steering geometry.
    Something for your friendly bike repairer to look at.
    The bigger wheel will also constitute a modification and may make the bike unroadwothy and uninsurable.

10. yeagh i 'd thought of all that... but if 16" are no problem then i'm set anyway....... ant the bike in question has fairly new rubber as it is so i shouln't need to worry about it for a while yet.... assuming i get the bike that is