Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyres for a motard

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by egiste, Dec 10, 2006.

1. I have been fixing up my old dirt bike for road use and the next step is tyres.

I want to get road tyres, but honestly have no idea on what to get.
    Just wondering if anyone can recoment or non-recomend any ??

Also, is there any real advantage to changing the front wheel to something a bit smaller (it has the 21" dirt whieel and tyre atm).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. For a 21" front there is a Metzeler tyre available to suit. I can't think of the model at the moment but I do know who to ask if you're interested. The tread pattern does not look anything spectacular but it comes in a race compound -used in Harley racing (roaring sporties I think) I have personally seen what a CRF 250 Honda will do to them as far as balling up on the track goes & believe me they are plenty sticky. There are a few 18" rears available. Again Metzeler do one, Bridgestone do the 014, & Dunlop do the GPR70 (proddie race tyre)
    About the only advantage to swapping to 17" wheels would be more choice in tyres. I personally like the 21" front for feel & feedback on a dirtbike. I would however look at a bigger front disc & maybe a better caliper for any demon braking manouvers you may want to attempt. But thats just me :grin:

3. Seriously when the hell do you EVER brake?