Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyres: different brands for front and rear

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by bonjoji, Jul 1, 2006.

1. My rear tyre is due for replacement very soon. Somehow, after shopping around ringing for quotes, only one out of three shops can fit a Dunlop which is the current brand for both of my front and rear. There are not much difference price-wise, so as per the subject what is your say/experience with fitting two different brands of tyres to your bike. All of them were saying it doesn't matter but of course they want to sell what they have ;) . The most common among them is the Bridgestone BT45's. Thanks in advance.

2. Personally when rear tyre needs replacing will also do the front @ same time.

It all comes down to personal preference & what type of riding you do etc. I have found that dunlops wear to quickly.

3. :shock: Isn't it a waste of money? Why would you replace a tyre (the front in my case) if it still has heaps of rubber left?

4. I didn't have much of a problem with different front and rears on the GPX, bonjoji, but they were still the same brand (just different compound). I don't think it matters as much as some say... but I've fallen into line on my new bike (both Michelins). :p

5. I get about 2 rears for every one front on the 1000, so that makes things easy for me. On the 250, i was running all sorts of combinations and never had problems. To be honest it will only become an issue if you make it one and push your tyres to the last little bit of their ability.

The most fun i had on the 250 was with 2 teeth off the front sprocket and an Arrowmax on the front, and a BT045 Battlaxe on the rear. I always found the Battleaxe would predictably step out if pushed too hard (mostly compression lockups or mid corner throttle snaps). That said i was running an oversized rear (140 instead of 130), but that just meant it felt a little different whilst cranked over - and a little less keen to tip at low pressures.

6. Dont know where or how often you ride, but where I am, 9 times out of 10 you will be putting new front tyre on b4 you know it. May look @ the time to have plenty of meat left, but you be surprised just how quickly you will be hunting for front tyre.

Maybe its a habit most riders I know round this area have, just easier in the long run to replace both @ same time & besides keeps the coppers off our backs if they want to get nit picky. LOL maybe having to get pinkslips every year has something to do with it :LOL:

7. Ive been told to try and keep the front and rear the same because otherwise they can warm up at different speeds

I figured that was the reason - but maybe Im just gullible