Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyrepliers tire repair kits

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by V2, Sep 4, 2007.

1. I'm looking to buy a tire repair kit and this was the only manufacturer I've come across on the internet. Anyone used them or know if they are any good? There website does not offer much information (not even a phone number)? They look like they use a plug? Other kits I've seen use a cord that is shoved into the hole in your tire, so anyone with advice, I'd really appreciate it!

2. Go to your local auto parts store, and get a plug repair kit for cars. It should contain a rasp for cleaning the hole, an inserting tool, and some hairy sticky rubber strings of what feels like snot, and some vulcanising glue.

Then go to a local bike shop, and buy a good quality mini hand pump, or a CO2 valve and some bottles.

This is the best and easiest way to make emergency repairs, and although not designed for permenant repair (you should get tyre shop to insert mushroom plug later) it usually gets you home no problem, and many people leave it as a permenant repair.

The thing to consider with the shoice between CO2 bottles and a hand pump, is that a 180 rear tyre will take about 5 bottles to fill it to a capacity sufficient for riding, but not all the way to the usual 40-42psi people run. This can be expensive, and you have to carry all those bottles everywhere. The hand pump may be a bit of hard work, and may take a bit of time, but it is compact, and can be used again if the repair didn't seal properley, and you end up getting low on air before you reach civilisation, whereas the CO2 bottles are one use only.

All of this fits neatly under the seat of my bike, and cost is about $70 including a pro quality hand pump.
  3. Sounds good to me! I don't mind using a pump, better pumping for 10 mins than walking for an hour or more.

4. Amen!
  5. I have a nifty little pump that does the co2 bottles as well as manual pump, there are 2 types of plugs, the little hairy stringy ones and a larger tapered plugs, i carry some of each
  6. I got a little kit from PS with this stuff and 3 CO2 bottles and a connector thingy for about $45. Hope I don't have to use it.
  7. Local Honda dealer sells bike puncture repair kits. Cost around $75 each. The use CO2 charges, as well.

I bought a car repair kit from Supercheap Auto. Despite it saying "not for motorcycle use" on the box I can't see what the difference is between it and the bike ones that I looked at.

I also bought a mini-air compressor. Total cost was $30. Hopefully I'll never have to use the kit.