Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre Warmers after the Race? MotoGP today

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Mkey, Oct 14, 2007.

1. I noticed in the Pits after the Moto GP race all 3 bikes (1st, 2nd & 3rd) had what appeared to be tyre warmers placed on them by the teams after the race.

Now I assume these are not tyre warmers, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why they cover the tyre after the race?

Is it to cover the tyre for the Tyre techs to check later?
    Is it to cover the tyre so competitor Tyre companys can't see the wear and tear of there tyre?

I tried to think of a few things, but came up blank, anyone know?
  2. I don't know either, but your educated guesses would be mine as well. JohnnyO and the other racers here would certainly know.
  3. Not knowing jack, this would also be my guess. Perhaps to stop the tyre from cooling too quickly which would adversely affect the analysis by said technicians.
  4. To add to that Haggisman, After a large amount of googling, I seem to have found the same thing.

A lot of high end teams say it is to keep the tyres hot for longer, slow the cooling process to assist final analisys of the tyre by tyre techs.
    If the tyre cools to quickly a lot of important information is lost due to the affect it has on the compound and construction of the tyre.

But if anyone else has anything to add, I'm keen to learn more :cool:
  5. Correct. It is done after each F1 session too.
    Tyre techs analyze each tyre
  6. My guess is... Just to hide the tyres, don't want the other teams to see what's happening. Also... not good for a magazine photographer to snap a pic for the public to see of a 'chunked' Bridgy or Michelin either.
  7. Well hopefully Michelin will have a good hard look at them after the race, and I think they'll need more than just tyre warmers!
  8. Racers who intend using the tyre again, put warmers back on to slow the cooling process. the tyre thinks it is kind.
  9. I find reading them stories does the trick for me.

I am pretty sure it's just to stop snooping from other nasty teams.
  10. If it was about techs checking them out afterwards, then the tyre companies would be a little more particular about having riders not do burnouts after a race, that would just bugger all data you could recover from the tyre.
  11. like pesek at siberia after the 125s. what a champ!
  12. Noticed that they've been doing that less and less over the last few seasons though? :)
  13. Pretty sure the MotoGP guys don't have to worry about getting another day out of their tyres. :wink: :p
  14. Nah, they're changing the tyre rules again. Gotta make them last at least 2 races now. You know, to bring them more like a club race meet.
  15. Yeah, of course the gp blokes wont use the tyres again, but they wouldn't have to hide anything from anyone, particularly once racing is over for the day. The warmer thing may also have something to do with heat cycles for the wheels. John Britten is known to have used cast off gp bike wheels, cos they piss them off to the bin regularly. My previous post was only to tell yez all why the domestic blokes put the warmers back on. Thanks cejay for your sarcasm.