Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre slip in wet patches on dry roads

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wby 1, Jan 29, 2016.

1. You know a day or 2 after a solid downpour, when the weather and roads dry up, but you still get those occasional wet patches on the road? like excess water slowly trickling across the camber of the road. Do people notice their tyres slipping at all, even if just a fraction? I've been riding a couple of times recently at between 60-80kmh around a curve (not a sharp corner), did all the right things like not braking through in the curve and keeping the weight on the rear tyre via the throttle, but still felt the front and rear tyres slip that little bit enough as I rode through the wet patch of road. Tyres are 5000kms old and mid 30's psi.

Is this normal for all bikes/riders? Im trying to understand if I'm doing anything wrong or if its tyres or if this is normal.

2. Not normal for me. What bike do you have and are your tyres at recommended pressure? Could there be moss and other crap in the wet bits?
  3. If you have good tyre brand aboard, then my experience tells me that your rear suspension maybe too firm.
  4. If it happened once it may have just been oil or similar on road, if it's happening over all wet patches in bends then check tyres for wear, pressure, and as above, suspension.
  5. Have a cbr500r. Honda recommend 42psi at the rear but I have them at 36. No moss etc, a clear piece of tarmac from what I saw each time (except for the water). I was even following another bike and they didn't appear to slip but maybe its hard to see.

Standard Dunlops with good tread. The rear shock is only adjustable for preload and I haven't touched it since I bought it so I imagine its on the mid setting. Im 70kgs so on the lighter side.
  6. Although I am 88kg, had that problem with my Thruxton also only has only rear preload which I prefer firm riding in Adelaide Hills. I would take the Gorge Road sweepers and on good lean angles I would feel the rear lose grip. Never felt any loss of control but I adjusted prelaod (- half a turn) and never had issue again. Check your manual but based on your weight I reckon riding solo the preload setting should be nearer minimum in wet and increase for two-up or good dry days.
  7. The devil is in the details, I think. Some bikes talk to the rider a whole lot more than others, and some riders listen to the bike a lot more, and some tyres on some surfaces tend to squirm a little more. Lots of people just don't notice this stuff. And, some 'damp patches' are that way for a reason. Damn spot is always damp, there's wet dirt under it and it seeps up into the tar with almost no provocation. You would probably find that spot was a low grip piece even if it was perfectly dry.

I can not suggest a general approach, I don't think there is one. If you become aware of a spot that always seems to be damp, regardless of the weather, treat it with caution, even when it appears to be dry.
  8. 36 might be a bit low. maybe try 38?
    could be that your going a bit quicker following someone and getting onto your chicken strips.
  9. Yeah I agree with this, my bike's back tyre has plenty to say lol... Maybe I should adjust the pre-load some.
  10. Thanks for the replies. I'll play around with the preload and see if that helps.

Nah the couple of times I felt this is on longer sweeping corners. Chicken strips are nearly gone so wouldn't have come close to them plus it was both tyres I felt slip a little.

For those in Sydney its happened both times on the Old Road between Cowan and PITS where you cruise along rather then push your limits like in the other sections.
  11. If you fiddle with suspension make note of your base and changes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I would suggest the rider is feeling the tyre(s) move, due to the low pressure. Use the recommended pressures, the problem should go away.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I don't think so, not on that little bike. If it was a hog or a 1600 BMW + wife, I'd agree, but ...
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. I know which section of old road you are referring to. It's water running across the road from surrounding stone walls.

I have hit these patches mid lean not fully committed and didn't experience any slip, I have Dunlop Q3 which are a little stickier.

Just take it easy on those patches as they are not simply damp but actual running water. Next time you see these coming up just get off the bike more and hold her more upright through the wet section.
    Has saved me a few time when I hit some puddles mid corner.
  15. Rear tyre is a 160 and bike weighs around 200kgs wet plus me. I'm surprised that 8psi would make such a difference to grip like that but I'll give it a go- all part of the experimentation and learning process! Ive had experienced riders tell me they they ride on low 30s front and rear but i guess its horses for courses. Im 90% sure though it was slip rather than tyre flex.

Thanks for the tips. Have seen your bike in the old road photos (y)
    • Like Like x 1