Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre size

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hugh50935, May 24, 2010.

1. Hi all,

The Bridgestone Exedra G602's on my VTR250 are approaching 5 years old now and showing their age. Since this is a weekend bike that doesn't doo many miles, I'm contemplating replacing them with a stickier tyre such as Michelin Pilot Pure's. The problem is that PP's don't come in the OEM rear size (140/70-17). They do however, come in 150/60-17. Aside from ~2% gearing reduction, would the different width & aspect adversely affect the handling?

Is there a better tyre available that anyone is aware of (I think BT003's & some Dunlop's come in the correct sizes)

2. Pilot pures are seriously overkill on a bike like that. Check the pilot roads to see if they would fit. I'm not sure what's decent in lower capacity bikes as I haven't had to look at them before.

Looks like the pilot roads will come in your size.

Having different sized tyres on a rim can change a lot of aspects of handling. I don't have the details, but I'm sure someone would fill you in.
  3. I agree that I dunno if the Pilot Pures are really worth it. However, if you're determined, the change in width and section is unlikely to cause too many problems. The handling is likely to feel different, but it won't, necessarily, be worse.

Something else to consider is that a soft compound tyre is likely to deteriorate more quickly than a harder, touring tyre. If you haven't used up your current ones in five years, I'd expect something sticky to go off through age long before it's worn out. Personally, I don't chuck old tyres (current rear on the DR is 10 years old and working fine) but others feel differently.
  4. you could try something like a bt 090 pro maybe, they came standard on the yamaha wr250x (supermoto) so they obviously work half ok on a lighter, less powerful bike and give reasonable life.

003rs are quite grippy and are good with the harder compound in the centre can get decent life. im nearing on 3000 kays of quite hard road riding and off road riding and they are holding together good still.
  5. Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone.

I should probably clarify a few things. Firstly, I've owned the bike all of 2 weeks, and have no prior experience with motorcycles (hence the newbie board). Please don't assume any knowledge on my part!

My reasoning for getting such a soft compound is that I'm unlikely to wear-out a medium-compound tyre before it goes hard.

As for a different size tyre, I have sneaking suspicion that the Honda engineers knew what they were doing when they picked a 140/70-17 size tyre. The Bridgestone site recommends BT-090's as a small/medium-sized sports tyre, but I haven't seen any evidence of them being sold in Australia?

Finally, does it matter if you replace a bias-ply tyre (i.e. the OEM tyres) with a radial?

6. If your bike has bias-ply tyres then stick with them. I did some looking into this when I had my first bike and the general consensus was that will affect handling and there is a quite a few posts made the bike unstable to the point of being dangerous.

Since you are so new to riding, I would suggest staying away from some of the high end sports / very soft tyres as they usually aren't designed for wet weather and being so new, if you get caught in the rain for the first few times you will want that extra stability.

I would recommend having a look at sport touring tyres or dual compound, they will be a bit firmer, but as you have been riding for only 2 week there is no way that you will out ride the grip levels of these tyres.

There is a thread on pilot pures in the review section, one of the posts outlines how lively these tyres can get in the wet.

Sticking to bias ply will limit what you can get, but there are some decent tyres out there still and you will be more likely to find something to fit your bike.

What year is the bike?
    Also where are you located? People may be able to recommend friendly tyre shops to help out to.

One more thing - go introduce yourself in the welcome forum!!!
  7. Might want to check of Pirelli Sport Demons. Linky

It's what I've on my bike (GS500) and find them to be good.

Also, from what I've seen, there is no difference between bias and cross ply tyre's, just the name each company calls it. But if I'm wrong, please correct me.
  8. Hi Geeth,

Thanks for the swift response(s).

I might continue scouring the interweb to see what bias-ply tyres are available in these sizes. Why Honda decided on such a unique tyre remains a mystery to me.

While I'm not planning on riding in the rain, strong wet-weather performance is a must, since this is invariably when it all turns to sh*t.

My bike is an '06 VTR250, living in Sydney's north shore. I've been meaning to post in the welcome forum, but have been holding off until I get around to making the VTR a little more photogenic (i.e. wash off the cobwebs).

9. It's strange that a 06 bike would have bias ply tyres. But is correct (have the service manual).
    It's not that they are using a strange tyre, It's somewhat of a budget bike and well they build to it.
    If I was you I would def have a look at the pirellis posts above as they should be good in the wet or have a look at bt-45s.
    Stay away from dunlop arrowmax, they have the grip of high polish steel.

Because I'm in a nice mood. Download this, it's the workshop manual for your bike. Even if you don't feel like servicing it yourself it can still be very helpful
  10. I have the same bike (well it's my one, not yours) & changed to BT45's. Great tyre without going over the top & very highly recommended. If you want a sticky tyre I think the Dunlop GPRa's are done in that size.

And yes they are bias ply. They must be an OK tyre as the new FI VTR is still using them & it's the current model.

11. Thanks for that! I'll get the first service done professionally since I wouldn't know where to start, though I see no reason why minor maintenance (oil & filter changes etc) can't be completed at home.

Going back to tyres, do you know what it is that would make the bike behave strangely with radial vs. bias-ply tyres? Are the rims designed for certain tyre constructions? I've always loved Pirelli car tyres, so I'll definately look into Sport Demons lucifer_mr2 suggested.

12. From wiki

I'm not 100% sure why there is such an issue, but esp when it comes to rubber I wouldn't stray from what the bike was designed for as that's what keeps you upright.