Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre shape - how important?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by titus, Oct 23, 2009.

1. So how much importance should be given to profile when selecting a tyre? I'm not talking about the aspect ratio or width. I mean the shape of the tyre (in profile - yes, I know they're round from side-on!).

On my last bike, which was relative stable steering-wise, I went from a rounded profile, wider rear to a slightly narrower, more v-shaped profile. The change, front and rear, made quite a lot of difference in turn-in characteristics (much quicker).

Now, I have a very quick steering bike and the current Pirellis on it are more rounded than, less v-shaped. I need to replace the rear, but I would like to try something different. The question I have is that if I go for more v-shaped rear will it make the bike less stable, and also will there be issues in matching with the existing partly-worn front?

Do I need to keep to the same family of tyres (Diablos) or can I mix them? Don't need to worry much about wear right now.
  2. Unfortunately every tyre model and bike comfinguration is different. Some bikes are more effected than others.

You are just going to have to suck it and see. A bike specific forum may point you in the right direction.

Incidently, it's this very reason you shouldn't muck around with tyre widths. The width of a tyre on the same rim changes it's shape.
  3. Incidentally this is why you SHOULD muck around with tyre widths. :)

Lots of variations between tyres like you guys are saying, but another one is the true width. Not all sizes are created equal, you'll find 180's which are fine on a 5.5" rim, and even some 160's which are fine on a 5.5" rim. You might get a 160 that gets too pinched in on a 5" and a 170 which fits it just fine.

Mixing tyres could conceivably give you handling issues, everyone talks about it, but when I mix tyres the only thing that I notice in a practical sense, is the way each tyre behaves independently. If a front chatters, it will chatter no matter what rear I have on. If i've got my favourite front on, it'll be good no matter what rear im running. And the grip from the rear and how it lets go seems independent from the front, the good ones are good, the bad ones are bad.
  4. Interesting point about tyres behaving independently, Devo. It's almost tempting for me to put a PP on the back just to see what it does to the bike. But then I don't need it to get any more lively, so maybe not...

ibast, the brand forums are very mixed. Lots of different options, no agreement. The model gets used for all kinds of riding.
  5. you're gonna need expert advise specific to your make/model bike with this one....you can mix and match front and rear tires...but it is very important you fit the right tire for the rim...diferent sizes, aspect ratios, profiles blah not only make a diference to handling, but also wear differently...and the more they wear the more dramatic the diference becomes...this is where i go...and i don't care what the tires looks like or what brand they are or how much they cost...i just get the tires he tells me to put on it, because he knows his stuff.> http://www.pablos.com.au/
  6. Why not just get the rear tyre and see what it feels like with the existing front and if it doesn't work, get the matching front? Too easy.
  7. Because I don't want to blow $300+ on the wrong shaped rear.
    Anyway. I think I've answered my own question - I don't need it to steer quicker so I'll stick with the same shape, but a different compound.
    If Devotard is right, I'll be able to live with the existing front for a while.
  8. Early Marketing people discuss motorcycle tyres. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist it, I'll slink away now :bolt: