Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre repairs??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jeffatav, Apr 5, 2008.

1. I had a nail in the rear tyre coming back from Bright and repaired it with one of those "gluey" string push through roadside repair kits and have since done about 400km on the Bird. Some was at illegal speed on expressways etc. :shock:

One of my mates said that these are only temporary and are only rated to 80km/h. I cannot see how the loop of "gluey" string could come back out the puncture hole at all.

So does anyone know if this is true, or do I have to take it to the shop to get a "proper" job done???

Thanks in advance

2. Look I've heard it said you're not supposed to do more than 130kmh on a plugged tyre... But really I think it's just one of those arse-covering things they say.

I've seen people cane the buggery out of bikes on tyres with multiple plugs in them, without issue. I suppose there's s slightly elevated risk and you probably wouldn't take one to Phillip Island for a trackday.
  3. Mmm nail in my tyre today (still there) so I better get that plugged soon.. Yay for slow leaks.
  4. Must be a day for flats, brother got one...
  5. I've never heard of any mishap using those plugs ...
  6. I have used them for thousands of km and had no trouble
    I have also seen tyres where they had come out causing rapid
    deflation, if that happened at high speed you'd be toast.

Take it to a bike shop, and get a permanent repair done on the tyre
    ASAP. They put a plug on from the inside, that has a mushroom shape
    spread over the inner surface of the tyre, and the stem plugs the hole, so
    that it cannot possibly come out.

If the tyre has broken cords or the repair is in the non-central part then
    they cannot repair it.

BTW I also got a puncture, last week. Is it the season for it?
  7. Tyres

+1 Hotcam!
    Had 25 years in the tyre industry & have seen some ghastly things with tyres. I've seen a $380,000 Porsche totally destroyed due to the owner getting a push in plug repair done.
    How much is your life worth?