Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre ratings

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by demuire, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Had a bit of a look around and couldn't find the answer, so thought I'd post up a new post.

I'm starting to look into tyre options for my Versys, the OEM tyres are wearing out. From memory the stock tyres are Dunlop D221 Sportmax, which is a ZR rated tyre.

Is it true that by law when replacing these tyres I have to get another Z rated tyre? Or can I drop down to a H rated tyre (of the same size)? I'm looking for something a bit more dual-sporty and there really isn't much in the Z rated category...

Thanks

2. In WA (and I think our rule is based on the national Australian Vehicle Standards framework), you can fit a lower speed rated tyre but must retain the same load rating.

We also had this one out with the insurance companies when I was with Transport here, and they backed down on using lower speed ratings as an excuse to disallow claims on grounds of unroadworthiness.

Check with your local RTA.

3. From the RTA Vehicle Standards Information

So H rated is fine as is any of N,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z.

PatB is correct with load rating

4. That sounds about right. In this day and age in Australia, I would be very surprised if you could find a road legal tyre for anything other than a moped with a speed rating below 140 km/h. That's even lower than the dash rating i remember from the UK which equated to 93 mph (IIRC), which might have been an imperialised 150 km/h.

5. Sorry realised afterwards you're in QLD. Here's what the QLD government has to say in their vehicle modification guide:

So reading that a motorcycle would come under "another motor vehicle" and require only 120km/h speed rating? From the section on motorbike modifications it just says:

In any regard, the answer to your question is still a H rated tyre is fine.

6. The question you need to ask yourself is "How often am I going to ride at sustained speeds in excess of 210 km/h?" or whatever the upper limit for H-Rating is. And the answer, for 99.999% of motorcyclists in Australia who aren't bullshitting (a small proportion admittedly) will be never.

You'll be fine.

Even S-Rating, which I haven't seen for years, is good for 180, so would be fine for pretty much any sane individual on the road.