Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre pressures???

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Sancho123456, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Hello all im an absolute newbie who just recently bought a 96 RVF-400, it was just recently imported from Japan and no owners manual came with it. I wanted some advice on what the tyre pressures are!

The rear tyre is a Dunlop Sportmax GPR-100 (150/60R17 M/G 66H)
    The front tyre is a Dunlop Sportmax GPR-100F (120/60ZR17 M/G 55W)

There is no indication on the actual tyres and i have no idea!

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
    If i havent included enough info let me know and ill check it out.
  2. First thing to check, how old are the tyres that are on it?

Look for the "DOT" label on the tyre walls, and beside it you should see 4 numbers in an oval out-line. What numbers do you see there?

Typically you'd want to be running around 36-38psi rear, and 34-36psi front when road riding. If touring, add 2PSI. If sporty scratching, take off 2psi.
  3. According to the owners manual for my NC30 (the last one before the '35) 33lbs front & rear. If carrying a pillion :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: bump the rear up to 36. Don't laugh -you can carry a pillion? Yeah right.
    In practice I have found you can run the rear at about 38 with no long term squaring off of the tyre.
    Those GPR100's should be fine. They are pretty new to the market so won't be too old. I have gone through 3 or 4 sets on my 400 & had a really good run with them. Plenty enough grip to scrape sidestands, fairings & exhaust (in that order) :LOL: Just watch the front in the wet when it wears down.
  4. Thanks heaps!! im only using the bike for weekend riding etc The tyres were near new when i got the bike and ive only put about 300k's on it.

I looked for the dot you spoke of not sure if this is it, i only saw.
    On the rear inside the dot "E11" then 75R-001462
    on the front inside the dot "E11" then 75R-001480

thanks again