Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre Pressures/Q-RIDE

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pot87, Jan 31, 2008.

  1. hey guys, i'm a new member and yeah i own a 1980 Kawasaki Z250 roadbike and at the moment its just sittin in the shed doing nothing, the other day i thought i'll check the pressures in the tyres and they were around 12-13 psi. my tyres are michelin M45 tube tyres on my bike and i'm not sure what psi i should be running in them. So i was just wondering what psi i should be running them at. Also i'm going to do Q-RIDE shortly to get my motorbike licence do you think it will be good after i get my licence through Q-RIDE to get a bigger bike or should i just stick with the 250cc for a while till i get some experience?.

  2. To answer your immediate question, somewhere on your bike there should be a tyre placard, which is a label giving the manufacturers spec for tyre sizes and pressures. It's been an Australian Design Rule requirement for donkey's years (although I'm not sure if it applied to bikes in 1980).

    Failing that, I'd start at about 28 psi front and 32 psi rear, which should be close enough to not be actively dangerous on a light, relatively slow bike like the Z250.

    If the bikes been standing for a long time, you need to check that the tyres haven't cracked with age. They certainly won't be as sticky as they were when new but are probably still better than most of the rubbish that impoverished riders of my generation were forced to suffer :grin: .

    Secondly, you need to get hold of a manual for your bike. I wouldn't fancy your chances of getting a factory book for a 28 yo bike, but Haynes aren't too bad (as long as you actually read them, which many folk don't) and I'm fairly confident they published one for both the Z250 single and the Z250 twin.
  3. As for your second question. It would be best to stick to a 250 (or LAMS approved bike) until you are on your full license. There are lots of issues with upgrading early. It sounds like you haven't done much riding, so get your license, try out the Z250 and you'll already have plenty to learn before you should start thinking about upgrading.

    The way I see it is that the time from lisence to big bike is a kind of rite of passage for a new rider. Yes, some people go the illegal rout and upgrade early, but it's something we all have to go through so I suggest you stick it out.

    Welcome to the forum! Make sure you check out the other sections, particularly the New Riders section and Maintenance and Appearance, as you will find the answers to many of your questions have been discussed already - for instance, there is a thread about Workshop manuals where you may find one for your Z250 (https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7655). Also, make sure you use the Search function before you post questions - many have been asked before and people tend to get narky if simple questions are asked over and over again.

    Good luck getting the Z250 up and running. :grin:
  4. thanks guys, my z250 is the V-TWIN model i'm pretty sure as its got 2 carbies. i heard that if your on your open car licence which i am you get given your open bike licence anyway. i've been on my opens since june last year and had my motorbike learners for well over 3 years and just been slack not getting my licence. When i was a young chap i use to do alot of bush riding but havent done that for 5 years and then i bought my roadbike in 2005 and just been slack at getting my licence and getting my z250 on the road.
  5. I had a Z250C twin way back then too. The tyre pressure label might be under the seat. But F28/R32 sounds ok to me too.
  6. okay i will check under the seat.