Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre Pressure

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cakeman, Mar 15, 2009.

1. SOrry for all the questions guys.....

Just a quick one..... my bike is a grey import so doesnt come with any manuals etc..... ive tried to find and english version and all i can seem to find on the net are Jap versions.

There is no where on my bike which says tyre pressure, only a couple of stickers and they are in japanese.

Its a hond rvf400 so im wondering what the correct tyre pressure would be?

2. 225 front, 225 rear.
  3. what is that in PSI? my servo air pump has it in 30, 35, 40 etc
  4. My 250 needs about 32-34 rear and 28-30 front, but I'm heavy so seeing as its a 400 they should be similar.

That is in PSI ... 225 PSI would asplode your tyre :twisted:
  5. What units are 32-34 is that Kpa?

You think getting this infor for the bike would be easy but it aint!
  6. You're supposed to put air in your tyres when they're cold right? My service manual gives cold tyre pressures.... how on earth am I supposed to get my bike to the servo with cold tyres?

Anyone got a trailer I can borrow so I can put air in my tyres.

I've just been putting air in them according to the suggested cold tyre pressure, then adding 2-3 psi. That's gotta be about right huh?
  7. How far is the servo.
    Even though you should put air in stone cold tyres for most people it's not possible / practical.
    I have a servo within 2 min ride so I am lucky.

Just go to your closest servo it should be fine, if paranoid just put it up about 1 - 2 psi, can roughly correct at home when cold the next day if you over inflate.
  8. Seems a bit extreme getting a trailer to go to the servo just to put air in the tyres lol

Just put 25 in each and see how they feel/ride.

In fact, just use common sense with it and personal judgement if you can't find any details in manuals etc.
  9. on weeks i feel like its going to be a bright shiny week i put it 32-34

Rainy week i put 28 28 for grip
  10. you know increasing the pressure in the wet helps push the water away from under the tyre and stop you form hydro planeing.
  11. An idea is to just buy the air pressure gauge, I have one that lets you release pressure while monitoring the pressure so I over inflate by a few PSI and then just 'let it down' to the correct pressure.

Most tyres I've seen have a max pressure around 40PSI, so if you want go over inflate them as little as possible, wait for them to cool in the garage and then let some air out.

Or you could just buy a foot pump and use a separate gauge for accuracy sake.
  12. What are you guys on a racetrack? You shouldnt worry so much about cold and hot pressures, it does change so but around the 30 - 32 Psi point is generally right. Although always go with the tyre manufactures and bikes gidelines for pressures, as they will have done more testing hours then you'll ever even have thought about.

Sheesh, taking a trailer just to pump tyres, i hope that involved lots of sarcasm. (HEAD SLAP)
  13. I use this to check cold pressures
    [​IMG] About $20 from Super Cheap Autos

& a track pump to do the tyres.
  14. Yeah but you'll only have maybe an inch of grip because it'll be sittin on the hard point of the tyre so having it soft you're going to gain abit more ground with the tyres. well its my theory and it "seems" like a common logical sense to me but yeah dnt take my words for it.
  15. What tyres, and how hard do you ride it?
  16. Write down the manufacturer, model and size of the tyre and go to the manufacturers website.........I'd take the advice from the manufacturer over some turkey on the interweb as all tyres are different.

The oem tyres on my Hornet require 36 front and 42 rear minimum cold pressure so that blows most theories in this tread out of the water. If the pressures are any lower, the handling suffers greatly.....then again Bridgestone BT56's are sh1t.
  17. Hi,
    I've heard stories about the japanese embassy being very helpful in translating craft instructions for people (and for free). i think there's a japanese consulate-general in sydney maybe you could just swing by with your bike and ask them to translate stickers and then use google as your friend to translate into PSI. Or find a nearby japanese shop of somesort??? - are there forums for your bike in japan which might have some english speaking people who could ask your question and translate?
  18. You're coming across as an idiot, and it's probably best that you pull your head in. Tyre manufacturers know nothing about your bike, daily temperature ranges or how you ride said bike. What you're suggesting is almost as bad as reading the max pressure on the tyre wall and using that.

The origial poster was also enquiring about a bike which has been discontinued for a long time, and has quite unique characteristics.
  19. Normally for my 250 I just use 32 front and 34 rear and it seems fine.

For the hydro planed before and it wasnt a good feeling. Luckily I picked it up that something wasnt right. The front was ok but the rear was steping out in the puddle. of water. At the time I was just slowing down. Didnt touch the rear brake and the rear just stepped out like I was on ice.

I found out that my rear was down to 22psi. In the dry the tyre didnt quite like running that low. It was threatening to let go.