Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre pressure checking

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by ljcoolio, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Apologies in advance I'm a newbie one week old just went to check tyres at my local servo and the air compressor attachment doesn't seem to meet correctly with my rear tyre Valve the wheel is too thick with one end of the hose or the bike gets in the way with the other end? Is there a gadget I need to buy or is there a trick to it

2. Lol. Same issue I faced today.

My front has a 90 degree valve. Rear os a short and stubby one that gives no room for the air hose to attach.

Thank you for asking the question as I'm eager to find out myself.

3. No probs glad I'm not the only one

4.  Top
  5.  Top
  6. buy your own pressure gauge and foot pump. it doesn't take much to top up tyres and you get to do it in the comfort of your garage and the tyres are cold.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Normally you can get it clipped from a certain angle, can take abit of fiddling and you may have to rotate the rear tyre a little.
    Do note that indicated tyre pressures from servo's can vary (+- 5psi) between stores, worth investing in a tyre pressure gauge or your own compressor.

twistngo raises a very good point, tyre pressure is measured cold. If the tyre is warmed from your trip to the servo the pressure may indicate higher than what you think it is.

8. what Twistngo also would agree is that using your own gauge would provide you with consistency in the amount of tyre pressure you have. Cold pressure is correct pressure. If you intend to use a servo, use the same one everytime, this way if the gauge is out you will have 'consistent' reading.

9. Ok thx everyone good info

10. When I bought my first set of new tyre for my bike, I had 90 degree valves fitted front and rear. Make sure they guys fitting you valves know the rotation direction of your wheels and set them correctly. That is, they point upwards when the bike is on the side stand. I've seen them fitted incorrectly and it's harder to check pressures.