Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre Pressure Checking Problem

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by bronson, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Gday guys,apologies for this probably basic question but after trying two spare parts joints and a bike shop no one can give me an answer.
    Being on l's I have a sedate little Honda 250 which is a pain when I go to check the tyre pressure everytime I fill up. This usually involves lots of tears and curse words trying to get a good enough connection of the air hose onto the valve on my rear tyre to get a reading/get some air in ,the hose fitting is usually too long to get around the spokes and stuff.
    Ask the bike shop guy and he tells me " yeah he's got the same problem " but can't help with an answer.
    This leads me to ask, surely you can buy some sort of flexible fitting you can carry that'll connect onto an air hose at the servo and onto your tyre ?
    Thanks in advance .

2. I use a guage & hand pump. Do it before the bike leaves the shed.
  3. 90-degree tyre valves cost about 8 bucks each. You can then access them much easier.
  4. It's a spoked wheel, or do you mean "spokes" on a cast wheel?

If the former, put the fitting inside the spokes from the other side of the wheel so the whole thing is in there. It's one of those things, once you've done it the first time you wonder what you were ever doing.
  5. +1

Or just find a servo with a flexi end. One near me has it, and its tonnes easier.
  6. Get your self down to supercheap and pick up a pencil type guage then get a 12V compressor with alligator clips and do it all in your shed with cold tyres. Run the comp off your battery.

My comp has a screw fitting for the valve.

A 90deg guage is ideal but hard to find.
  7. +1 I have a little michelin foot pump and a gauge. piece of p&ss.
  8. Think I might just go the "home compressor /do the check before I leave home " option .
    All the servos in my little coastal town have the same ill fitting connections and no amount of making them fit inside the spokes of my little tyre has worked too well so far so the home check maybe the best way to go.For me anyway.
    Thanks for all the prompt input guys,
  9. You'll set yourself up for less than $40
  10. I normally check my tyre pressures at home using a pencil gauge and/or foot pump, but I also carry an angled valve adaptor on the bike in case I need to use a garage air line.
  11. Buy a tyre gauge with a 45degree fitting. Servo gauges can be very inaccurate.
  12. It's been said but a foot pump and pencil gauge make the job easy.
  13. Everyone says this, but I've yet to find one that's been more than 2 PSI out. Every time I do my tyres I check them with an electronic gauge and have always found the servo ones to be fairly close.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that the problem is over-stated somewhat.
  14. +1 but I still can't bring myself to fully trust them. :)
  15. I guess you feel that 2 psi is accurate enough.
    Everyone has their limits!