Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre pressure at Petrol station?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by jslim1008, May 31, 2016.

1. Hi guys, very noob question but does the air pumps at the gas stations in Sydney fit motorcycles? Mines a Ninja 300 and want to know if I can use those pumps at the servo.

2. Yes won't be a problem mate.

Just don't take the pressure as gospel as sometimes the actual reading at servo pumps is out a little bit.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Yes they do fit motorcycle tyres, but i would buy a reasonable quality tyre pressure gauge and check your pressures at home first; the connections at the garage will certainly put air in your tyres, but the gauges are often quite inaccurate....
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. After being constantly let down in Victoria with run over, stolen or just broken air hoses I ended up buying my own air compressor and connections.

Very handy for both the car & bike and also air tools.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Most of the pumps here have long steel tubes near the end that make it very difficult for a lot of bike wheels.
    I need a bendy end.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Also the recommended tyre pressures are for cold air. So you should check before you ride.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Same here... and I've also noticed inaccurate readings at a number of stations. Safety should come first and therefore have your own tyre pressure gauge (to check before and after)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. When you next get new tyres, get them to fit the right-angled valve stems for you, makes life so much easier

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The boys did a check on last weekends run to Spencer, this was done after a hours meal brake so there was probably some residual heat, both rears on 2 bikes filled using petrol station air and gauges were in the low 50s psi. This check was done with a know good gauge. Spend the $100 and buy yourself a small compressor and accurate gauge. Well worth the effit with crazy results like this, I was shocked considering who this happened to, very tech savy very long term riders.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. That's crazy!

Yes I bought a $99 compressor from Bunnings, and I've found all sorts of other uses for it as well as maintaining my tyres; last Saturday morning I blew all the crumbs and junk out of our toaster!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Until then, you can also get screw-on adaptors in right angle. Not quite as neat but will do the job.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You don't need a compressor. A footpump does the job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I even spend the $12 on a cigarette plugged mini compressor to blow up my air mattress,to lazy for the manual version. Wont do the tyres though.
  14. I found having a quality bicycle foot pump at home is great eliminates the will this servo pump work hassle.

Just got to get a decent gauge
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. I've got a Joe Blow Top Peak floor pump:
    It was about AU$60 and takes 250 pumps to get a rear 190/50R17 tyre to 42 PSI.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Similar experience here. Pumping up my tires - one was down. Seemed to take longer to pump up than I expected. I decided to check at another servo down the road... over 55psi in that tire!

Bought myself my own gauge after that.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for the reply guys!
    I'm still a new rider so don't know lot about correct pressures and whatnot

So like small air compressors will do the job filling up air in the tire right?
    Is 35PSI alright?
  18. Holy smokes!! :(
  19. anything from 29 to 36 may be suitable depending on tyre and manufacturers recommendations. Check the owner's manual if you have the standard tyres fitted on your bike.

EDIT: should have read "depends on the tyre" (and whether you're riding two-up which you shouldn't be doing as a new rider).
  20. Refer to your bikes manual as to the correct tire pressure to use. Each bike will be different.

A small air compressor will do the job no worries at all. A $100 bunnings / super cheap will give you a lot more PSI than you'll ever need for a tire, or a 12v cigarette job will also work.