Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre pliers

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Dylan05, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I thought I would try out an Australian product called 'Tyre pliers' the concept looks great and its Australian made, owned and an affordable price, at less than $100. After reading the instructions I gave the pliers a go.

Lets just start by saying, following instructions is simple. Lubricate the thread prior to every use, place on inside of rim, make sure in place and with a 17mm spanner/socket wind in the thread. You continue this process until the bead is broken.

So after 20 minutes of use both beads were still yet to be broken and the tool was bent/ warped from the heat build up. This is after the laborious task of winding, unwinding, moving around the rim, winding, unwinding moving around the rim, lubricating between each use.

Not happy JAN!!! Maybe I incompetant and just can't operate it properly?

Has anyone used this product before and had good results?
  2. Local shops here will change a supplied tyre for $15,so thats 6 changes for $90.
    Why bother buying tools.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hey blabb just quickly
    Where is the bargain place in adelaide 4 tyres
  4. I guess that would all depend on how frequently the OP replaces their tyres.
    Not everyone just rides to the cafe and back :p
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thats true,you argyle coated pussy.
    How many tyres do you change a year?
  6. I'm up to 7 for the last 12 months.
  7. You need to get a machine and import tyres.
    Find 3 mates and share the costs-its surprisingly cheap.
    The machine will pay for itself in a year.
  8. Where do I find 3 mates? :LOL:
  9. I still take my wheels to a shop.
  10. I know someone that i think can fit
    ( he just changed company so unsure now )

Where u import/ buy from ??
  11. I cud prolly fit if i really had to
    Breaking bead can be done
    Bush mechanic style
  12. Reviving old thread: Has anyone else had experience with the Tyrepliers bead breaker? I'm considering buying one but am a bit put off by the idea that the tool could bend during regular usage. Presumably a bead breaker should be made of pretty rigid metal.
  13. It should be, but you'd be surprised how stubborn tires can be and the force you can put on them when they refuse to budge.
    After only scratching the rims I just take them to my local mechanic who makes it look easy, makes sense as that's who also orders the tire in.

One rider I know brought a second set of wheels on gumtree and has his slicks on that to swap between.
  14. I know all about their stubbornness :) I've been changing tyres for a few years and the one thing that always tests my sanity is breaking the bead. I've used various methods - usually c-clamps - but I think it's about time that I make life easier by buying a proper tool for the job. The Tyre Pliers looks like a sound design. I just don't want to buy something crap that will break.

I'm not really sure what the original author of this thread meant by 'heat build up'. From the looks of it, there shouldn't be any significant heat generated.
  15. If out on the trail and I get a flat and need to get a new tube in, then as the tyre is already warm, my size 11 boot will break the bead. If another bike is with you, just use their side stand.
    I have tried the 'G-clamp' method, a bit to much mucking around for me.

At home, I just use 2 pieces of 4"x 2" timber. One long one, about 5' long & one short piece around 1.5' long. I just use the long piece to hook under something solid/stable (usually, the towball on my car) then use the shorter piece as a lever to apply downward force to break the bead. Being timber, it doesn't scratch rims, just be carefull not to damage the brake disc closets to the ground, I just use a towel under it. This method never lets me down, takes about 5 minutes. Used with both tubed and tubeless tyres. (out in the sticks, I just substitute the 2"x4" with tree branches)
    Here is a link: Bead Breaker for Motorcycle Tires - webBikeWorld

Never, bothered with Tyrepliers, as I had heard the same stories as above, and it just more shite I have to carry if i'm away on a trip.
    • Agree Agree x 1