Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre numbers

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by NJS, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Please excuse me if this is a stupid question. Are there numbers on your tyres which are vital and some not?
    I am currently running a rear which is 120/90 - 18 M/C 65. Like a tyre which the closest it gets is 120/90 - 17 M/C 64S. Can it be done?

2. Are your tyres from China or something? They are normally something like 180/55 Z R17 which means 180mm wide, 55% aspect ratio, the letter is a speed rating and the R17 is 17" diameter.

Your configuration look a bit different, but looks like the rim diameters are different which is no-go.
  3. The second tyre is the same width and 1 inch smaller dia.
    Find one the same size.
  4. no this will not fit because 120/90-18 means you have an 18inch wheel. 120/90-17 will only fit on a 17inch wheel.

what type of bike is this anyway?
  5. Husky te610. Which way is the width and diameter measured. I'm guessing width is the rim.
    I'm basically after an 80/20, road/trail, tyre. Found some pretty ones but nothing with the same numbers.
  6. Hi NJS. The width is nominal and measured at the widest part of the tyre. Diameter is the bore of the tyre(like the diameter of the hole in a donut). The aspect ratio is how tall the sidewall is relative to the width.