Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre not round

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by 50Shades, Dec 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Evening All
    I know this sounds weird, but my rear tyre is not perfectly round, Metzeler M5 on a 600
    I have set up a basic gauge when the bike is on the stand and the rim appears to be true.
    After a bit of consulting with Mr Goggle on Metzeler not round, I'm not the only one, this tyre has done 5900km, so is well on the way to being worn, the "high spot" is getting close to the wear indicator.

Is it worth talking to the dealer re a claim or just suck it up and replace it?

2. With that sort of wear, I'd be surprised if they do anything about it.

But, it doesn't hurt to ask the question... They may surprise you.

3. Is it properly seated on the rim? It's very easy, when mounting a tyre, to fail to get the beads fully popped out. There should be a couple of mould lines near the rim which you can use to check the concentricity of the mounting. Have a look at both sides and you may find that these guide lines disappear behind the lip of the wheel rim at some point, indicating that the bead isn't seated properly.