Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre life

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Dylan05, Jan 31, 2012.

1. How long should you either store a tyre or ride on one (not meaning tyre wear)? Is a tyre thats been stored in a controlled climate but is 5 years old ok?
    I decided to have a look at my tyres to see how old they were today, I've never checked the age of a tyre before and should have done this when I bought the bike. I found my tyres (slicks) were made in 2004 and 2005 way too old? or should they be ok to ride. I did use them at PI a couple of weeks ago .

So how old do you let your tyres get regardless of wear before you change them?

Cheers

2. Common gossip is five a year shelf life.
    If they are wrapped well and kept from the AIR. Then they will be fine for a long time. They or the carcass would be harder and more care needed when first using them. But a few heat cycles and they would be no diff I think....and I am only assuming, we know what that brings.

3. I've ridden on some truly ancient tyres (10+ years) and I'm still here. That includes some limited track use too. So no, I don't change tyres before they wear out and wouldn't bother unless they were showing a worrying level of cracking.

I don't recommend it, but as long as you're aware that they're not in the first flush of youth you probably won't die either.