Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre inflation at home

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by chilliman64, Jun 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hey Netriders

any of you using a floor/hand pump to inflate your tyres at home? something like this which will go to 160psi (similar models will go over 200psi)
    $_12.JPG
    or maybe something else, like a 12v or 240 mini compressor?

• Like Like x 2
  2. I've got both; a Joe Blow Top Peak floor manual floor pump and a 12V Tomcat mini air compressor. I've used both to fully inflate tyres although the floor pump is best for adjusting pressure rather than the workout it gives to fully inflate a tyre...or as Steve VtecSteve Vtec said recently, an "inflatable friend".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ive got a compressor and a pump like the one you pictured. If you need a couple of PSI the floor pump is fine. Anymore or from completely flat, its gonna make you sweat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Great minds and all that.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Foot pump or hand pump like you've shown will work fine. The bike ones will typically have a smaller diameter barrel and give high pressure and low volume, hence take a lot of pumping to fill a larger motorcycle tyre.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I pump my car, bicycle and motorbike with bicycle hand pump pictured above. Works great and don't have to worry about servo pumps being accurate or broken.

Good for maintaining pressure by pumping every couple of weeks.

7. I've got the trifecta

Tomcat 12v portable for on the road
    Similiar car/bike pump as per your pic
    Small 50l compressor in the garage

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Same here George, however Ive had dramas with the Tomcat compressors (own 2 of em) and have made the switch to a motopressor unit. Much more solid build and pumps much faster than the Tomcat

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Luckily never had to use the Tomcat so far - but you know what they say - the day I leave it at home....

10. those floor pumps come in high pressure versions, for skinny bike tyres...
    but also come in "high volume" versions, for mountain bike tyres, which don't go to as high pressure, but fill tyres faster.
    eg Lezyne - Alloy Floor Drive

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ask LionzLionz, he used it at the track and I had to stop him from smashing to smithereens on the floor. It actually deflated his tyre, maybe a one off, maybe not but Im not taking a risk with it out in the sticks.

12. 50ltr compressor. Use it for everything-rattle gun , spray guns best man cave investment. Well that and maybe a beer fridge!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. yes I had been looking at the Lezyne's but seems you worked that out! (y)

the one you posted is $95 inc postage and looks pretty good for what I need. Lezyne Classic Dirt Floor Drive Pump

I do have a 12v heavy duty mini that I got from Supacheap about 12yrs ago and it is still going strong but admittedly doesn't get much use, I just find it fiddly for little top ups as it needs to be hooked up to the car. would be great if it had 240v option.

14.  Top
  15.  Top
  16. have you used one of the cartridges?

17. Don't do it, a small compressor is far more reliable and you can reinflate your tyre as many times as you need. C02 is a one shot deal, bugger it up or your first plug fails and your stranded.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have a repair kit as shown as well as the Tomcat and a small toolkit in the Kriega 10liter

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyWjIeOuAohR4CrWW5nIqt7iKr72iIXuKjCjr33LkEhixOKvNlS_uIbRh51LeasWopPH8Fss8&usqp=CAE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. you're right - I see this being useful when you have a flat, not when needing a 5-ish psi top up. I agree it would be easy to overinflate a 3/4 inflated tyre and I reckon the fill would come-on pretty quickly making it hard to regulate.