Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre deflating

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by zx9er, Dec 12, 2014.

1. I just picked up a new bike off the lot 3 weeks or so ago. Ever since I've got it the rear tyres been deflating in about a week. I took it to the mechanic for something else and they found a puncture and plugged it. Its still deflating [emoji29]
    They said there was already one plug in the tire. The bike had been sitting on the lot for about 3 years before I bought it. Is it possible the seal around the side has gone? If so I heard something somewhere that if you over inflate your tire then put it straight back down to normal the tire will reseal. Is this true? Have I remembered it wrong? Your opinions please...

2. Get a new tyre
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Smee's answer is probably the go, tyres that have sat around in the weather will lose chemicals the manufactures use to maintain their pliability and performance. Old tyres get hard and don't perform anywhere near as well.

New tyre time, if you are in Melbourne go and see the Netrider member MMMTS or he can come to you.
  4. I'm in Penriff NSW. Known to the non educated as Penrith
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Well he probably won't come to you then :) Some of the locals may be able to suggest a good tyre supplier.
  6. You bought it from a dealer? Get them to replace both the tyres. They shouldn't be selling you three year old hoops.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. No warranty. The bike is more than 5 years old with over 30000ks
  8. ahh, didn't realise over 30Kkm was not covered..
    might still be worth asking the question "why did you sell the bike with an unsafe tyre" :D
  9. Smoke 'er up.
  10. Replace the valve stem
  11. If a workshop plugged the tyre I'm sure they would have told you if the tyre wasn't fit for use.

Use some soapy water to find the leak
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Slow leaks are a bugger to find! Give it a go anyway, pump it up to its max pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tyre first, can make the leak a bit easier to spot. Then as iClint said, soapy water.
    Good luck.
  13. Unscrew the valve and put a new one in.
  14. As said use soapy water to check for the leak the first place to look at is at the repair plugs that have been done but considering that the tyre is aged I would suggest replacing both tyres so that you are confident that you are getting the grip that you should get especially in the wet or on that tight corner you come into.
  15. Yep, and nothing is as easy as checking a leaking valve. Just put some spit on it. I do that everytime I pump up my tyres regardless.
  16. So a bit of spit around the base or on the actual pointy bit where the hose attaches?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. A Honda Hornet thats advertised for $5000. When they can't sell it they drop the price $2000 and sell it to a bargain hunter... me :)