Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tyre cupping anyone?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by s3me, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Been doing a bit of research lately for a new set of rubbers.. and occasionally i've been coming across the term 'cupping' when in reference to the tyres.. seems to be used more when referring to the front tyre..? why is this so? can anyone tell me what this term may mean other than than getting a little too affectionate towards your rubber and giving it a nice feel after a hard thrashing when it's all soft, warm and sticky?

2. If it's what I think it is, it's also referred to as scalloping.

This is where a lumpy sort of profile develops on the sides of the tyre, beginning close to the centre.

3. come and look at my front tyre and then you'll know.

was cupped when I bought the bike and have been advised its due to previous owner not having correct tyre pressures.

bike is getting worked on so i'll be getting nice fresh rubber when its back together.
  4. Every front tyre I've ever had has eventually worn so that the concave surface (between each tread groove) has become flat or concave. Contact patch therefore drastically reduced. I assumed this was what was called cupping.
    Seems to be different from that in Loz' article (?)
  5. I think tyre pressure is a culprit here, but some tyres are more susceptible than others. I don't get it on Diablos, but I did on Michelens.

Once it starts, you can't stop it.

I also suspect too light damping in the forks may contribute.