Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre changes, DIY or someone else?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by tim650, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Im not in need of changing tyres as yet but curious if people change them themselves or get a mechanic or moto dealer of some sorts to do it for them. I've come across some tyres at a good price and was thinking of buying em so when the day comes to change it got em.

Looking at the bike, it looks complicated, bit harder than changing the tyres on my mountain bike :)

Does anyone do it;
    does the complete disk rotors and stuff have to be removed so its a bare rim, do the brakes need to be bled or anything afterwards, any bearings or anything could potentially fall out.

I've read to get someone else to change them they charge, $90-100 an hour for labour, and it takes em that time just taking the wheels off. So you pay $400+ a set of tyres and labour on top would kill it.

Its a price you have to pay i guess, but my dad being a qualified car mechanic and my brother and me have been playing and building cars so we like to do things ourself (bikes are a first).

Doing it yourself you know what has been done, and only got yourself to blame if something happens and not someone else, happened to my mate and has been going to court past 2 years.

Any input would be appreciated :grin:
  2. yep i do mine myself.....i now have the knowledge how to do em on the side of the road :LOL:
  3. I used to do all my own tubed tyres. I don't bother now that I run tubeless.

If you're even halfway competent, it's not a safety issue, but I couldn't be bothered with farting around breaking and reseating the beads. Might be different given a SuperCrap tyre changer (with bike attachment) but I don't go through enough tyres to make the cost worthwhile.

Balancing is a bit more of an issue, although, on my tubed bikes, I just ignored it and could never really feel any problems (generally lowish performance machinery with skinny tyres). Again, my current machinery would require a bit more effort.

My regular tyre supplier charged me $20 when I had to get a tyre removed and remounted and a balance job done after a new place I tried fcuked the job up to a dangerous extent twice :evil: .

If you do try it yourself, just be careful of the finish on your rims.
  4. Some bikes might be more of a pain to get the wheels off than others, but it's always quicker the 2nd time. No need to bleed brakes or anything. You might need to remove spacers from the hubs to avoid losing them, but the bearings won't fall out.

I take my wheels off, but get my wheel builder to change tires for $5 a pop. Better than skinned knuckles and trying to seat a bead with a shitty supercheap air compressor.
  5. It costs piss-all to get them done by the tyre guy.

Having said that, I'll do my own (with the help of the spanner night crew) from now on, 'coz it's a great laugh. Takes ya ten minutes. No wuckers.
  6. Thanx for the feedback guys.

Im more concernced about the removal of the rims from the bike, tyres would be easy but as you'se said balancing might be out, i forgot about that, but my tyre guy removes/fits tyres for $5 and will even throw out the old tyre if u dont want it.

I want to learn cause my brothers getting his licence soon, so the garage will start filling up with bikes, on top of our 7 cars haha.

Tim :cool:
  7. Yeah, I've got friends who rebuild heads in their spare time, machine triple clamps from scratch, make mufflers out of beer cans and epoxy and they can't be bothered changing tyres.

If you do want some new tyres, try Intyre in Fitzroy.
  8. It's 'cos tyres, like chains and exhausts, tend to be 'orrible grubby icky things to mess with. Which is why I now ride a shaftie, with stainless pipes and I find the money to pay someone else to muck about with my tyres :grin: .

That and the fact that you tend to remember being smacked on the bridge of the nose by that tyre lever that slipped :shock: .
  9. I buy mine fitted & balanced!
  10. I jusy buy mine fitted as well.

The places I go to to buy tyres they just fit them for free anyways so I'd rather have them fitted for me. I do know how ti and have the tools for it but just couldnt be stuffed.
  11. I have always fitted my own tyres, road & dirt, I've even got the scratches in my painted rims to prove it.

If you have the right basic equipment; eg: tyre levers, rim protectors, bead breaker etc, it is quick at easy.

It is a dirty job and some tyres can be a real biatch to get on & off; the tighter the tyre, the more scratches in the rim if you are using tyre levers.

Tyre fitting charges are good value, if you have the bucks and you can get the bike to a shop, getting the shop to fit is a better idea..... me being the tight arse that I am, I will continue to fit my own.
  12. I'm usually having a coffee and a chat while someone changes mine :)
  13. Haha, im the same.. I always think of other things i could use that money for. For example, a holiday OR a motorbike... I would choose the latter and pretend im on a holiday :wink:

What about jacking the bike up, what do you use, is it just a normal bike stand and do one end at a time?
  14. I CBF'd fitting tyres, did one, too much hassle.
    I take the wheels off the bike, remove rotors (so numpties don't damage them), mark direction of rotation on the rims with a texta and take them to get the tyres fitted. I will often supply my own tyres too, the saving I make buying them online more than pays for fitting.
    So, it's not a total "hand the bike over, back at 5 to pick up" option, but it still saves a heap of money, plus you know the bike is reassembled properly.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. If you get them from normal people its not that bad.. but watch out for action motorcycles, the retards quoted me a $50 fitting charge for EACH tyre, when buying the tyres from them which were way more expensive than anywhere else.
  16. If not for others then for financial reasons I will try to do most things myself, but changing tyres...never ever again! I'm glad I did it once so I know I can do it, but for $30 for a shop to do it, it is not worth the suffering and significant loss of life that I underwent!!! :(
  17. Hahaha, $30, im guessing thats each end. I would pay that, but still would like to know.

Can anyone still answer about how the bike is jacked up, such as a bike stand etc.

Any pictures of someone halfway through doing it just for some idea.
  18. As far as actually removing and fitting tyres is concerned, every Haynes bike manual that I've seen has a comprehensive photographic guide that covers most of what you need to know.

Lifting and supporting the bike will vary depending on model. If you've got a centrestand, it's easy. Just tie or wire the stand in the down position and use a couple of ratchet straps from a roof beam or something to support whichever end of the bike you're working on. The straps are basically insurance, as the bike, with a wheel removed, should be quite happy on the stand.

Without a centrestand, it's a bit more involved. I've seen it done by two big guys, with one of them supporting the bike on one wheel and the sidestand, while the other performed a lightning tyre change, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

You could muck around with jacks and ratchet straps I suppose, but your best bet is to swallow hard and spring for front and rear paddock stands. It's worth it not to drop your bike on top of yourself :grin: .
  19. Fair enough. I heard about paddock stands a bit actually, might google it.
    I got a engine hoist :LOL:
  20. i'm in need of some new tyres for my bike (i'm in sydney)

wheres the cheapest place to get it fitted and everything?

so far bikebiz are cheapest but its still over $400 for a set (cbr250rr)