Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tyre article in magazine

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Jul 10, 2007.

1. I know you get sick of me shouting about how good BIKE magazine is, but IT IS!!!

In the current (June '07) issue, on page 116, under the title "23 things you need to know about grip" is the best single article on tyres and grip I have ever read. You should buy the magazine just for that article.

For example;

Question 5.
    On dry roads, on a sportsbike, is the mid-corner limit grip or ground clearance? If I've got the balls, has the bike got the grip?

The chances of running out of grip on the road are probably extremely slim .... People tend to fall off mostly through their own mistakes, not through lack of grip. Unless you can lap Donnington {Park} in less than 1m 40s, you'll struggle to find the limits of a modern sports or sports/touring tyre.
  2. Bike mag does have a certain style to it doesn't it??

It'd be nice if Aussie bike mags could be a bit more... irreverant like the UK stuff.
  3. .. and it has OGRI :wink: :LOL:.
  4. What's the chances of a scan? :grin:
  5. By the way, the article assumes a clean and unbroken road surface. I've lost traction on the road plenty of times due to gravel, oil, cracks, ruts, leaves, branches, etc etc etc.
  6. I KNEW someone would ask that, Loz. Honest and for true, mate, it's printed in a mixture of blue pages with white writing and the reverse, and apart from the legal aspects (RIP The Wiz), , I think it would scan like mud......

To your second comment, yes, of course, I'm sure we all have. I guess the answer is meant to say that all things being equal tyres should grip beyond our expectation of them.
  7. Re: GREAT tyre article in BIKE

Sydney roads are the limit. They're bloody atrocious.

I know my bike can do more, but i'm yet to find a road where i'm confident in the surface :roll:
    I wish I could afford to go to track days :oops:
  8. Sounds like a good read.

Just on the one point you've brought up though, there's a bit of a catch-22. If you're not a pro-racer you're not going to have enough corner speed to out-do your tyres, but then again if you're not a pro-racer you're probably a little bit ham-fisted with the throttle, brakes, steering input etc which has as much to do with grip as your tyres. Technically, that's all counted as rider error I suppose, but confidence in your tyres isnt going to magically improve that.
  9. That's true, I guess, but what interested me in that particular quetion and answer is that we probably don't treat our tyres with the confidence they deserve, if that makes sense :?
  10. tyres are like any rubber you treat it with confidence until you er... umn get a blow out. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. That's what I was thinking. :)
  12. and..the dreaded fat arse wombat :grin:
  13. How about a trail of cow shit out of a transporter around a round about? That stuff is as slippery as .....................well shit!
  14. I talked to Scotty from Pablos about this subject. He said a top rider can get a tyre to around the 100 degree mark, while your average rider gets them to just over 50 degrees.
    If you can touch them with your hand, they've still got more to give.

15. Just run it at 10psi, that helps get your temperatures up.
  16. Horse shit in the CBD from those tourist trap carriages - that's been the downfall of a couple of people. :mad:

Normally though your tyres will go round most corners faster than you can... :grin:
  17. When you consider the forces involved, its bloody scary how much you are asking out of that 10-odd cm^2 piece of tyre
  18. My two favourite hobbies require considerable trust in a bit of rubber.
  19. I actually think it's a lot more than 10 square centimetres, but that spoils the bravado of it all.....

Regards, Andrew.