Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two Years On and a bit less of a Noob

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by BugzR34, Aug 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Today marks two years since I took the plunge and got my L's.
    Always wanted to ride a bike but was a bit too stupid in my 20's with cars so held off.
    In my 30's I am a bit more reserved so i thought it's a good time to give it a go.

I wanted to give some tips to new learners out there of what I went through to become a more confident rider.
    Just in point form in no particular order.
    I still have loads to learn as we all do.

- Buy a cheap lams bike and ride it in all conditions, you will most likely sell it in 6 months.

- do a track day as soon as you can to get your cornering confidence up, don't debate just do it. It will keep you alive next time you need to hit the twistys and shit happens mid corner.
    You will stay calm and have utmost trust in your bike as you will know what it is capable of.

- don't go on group rides as you will always try to keep up. I know we say we won't, but seriously guys, bikes and testosterone, need I say more.

- ride in all conditions. I have purposely gone to my favourite local twistys in the rain and took it easy, it did make me more confident in the rain.

- buy a back protector and a two piece leather suit. Use it all the time especially when you have a high risk of crashing as a learner. You will look like a power ranger but who cares. I am now more relaxed with my gear unless I am going for a spirited ride.

- don't rush into upgrading your bike until you can keep up with larger bikes on your lams bike. I held off until I could ride the pants off my ninja. I am 6ft and 82kg so it's plenty of power.

- when you upgrade don't go bonkers with a bike you will think is your dream bike. As your first couple of years will define what kind of rider you will be. I realised that I like shorter fast paced rides and track days. I am now slowly looking into longer riders hence why I sold the GSXR and bought a naked sports bike and have a track bike for my ego stroking.

- pick a mate or two who does not have suicidal tendencies to go riding with.

- don't speed on the straights as that's where the cops are. Enjoy corners more.

- every time you screw up don't blame the road conditions, 99% of the time it's your fault.

- if you haven't had much experience in traffic then take it easy until you feel confident filtering and riding next to cars at close proximity.

- read twist of the wrist at least three times and revisit it every 6 months as you progress. Esp if you do track days.

- buy your first new bike after you have at least owned a few other cheap bikes. As you are more likely buy what best suits you.

- most importantly, don't wait for that perfect day to go for a ride as every ride in all conditions will make you a better rider.

Motorcycling is for life. In my 30's-40s i will be a track rider. 50-60s will give adventure touring a go. 60s onwards Harley here we come :)

• Like Like x 32
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Glad to see you're enjoying yourself

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dude, don't wait until your 60's to get a harley, you will regret it. they are fun to ride and most of the people who put sh1t on them have never ridden one.

nice write up you did there!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sweet write up Yarra, Have to agree 100% with the vast majority of that............ except for the 50's - 60's you'll be giving up track riding, Total tosh ;)
    Good, considerate post Mate.

• Like Like x 2
  5. If I had the funds I would have a vrod in my garage right now next to the XSR.
    I love the look and riding style.
    Just being realistic with what age the family will let me have another type of bike. Agree though, they do get a lot of unfounded crap put on them without people actually riding one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks mate, yeah I am hoping to be one of those old rich guys with a brand new R1 still riding the track every month. I am guessing that's your long term plan too mate :)

7. Good post. I am not so much into the track days but wholeheartedly agree with the comment about riding in every condition.

I am just about to finish my first year, just replaced the cheap and cheerful Hyosung with a new bike that will see me through until the end of restrictions and beyond and will suit the styke of riding that appeals most to me.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Great read BugzR34BugzR34. If only they'd listen :).

If i wasn't so lazy i'd write my own....

Where do you ride? Vic?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks bud. Yeah I hope some learners get a benefit from reading this thread as I know when we are younger we tend to ignore all advice and think we know better.

I just had a real good think about what kind of rider I want to be before I started riding and try to have a long term plan when it comes to bikes.

Too many young guys buy a bike and write themselves off or just get too scared after a close call and sell the bike.
    I ride in NSW but will one day come down to VIC, Phillip island is on the Bucket list :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Let me know when you come down. I can show you some of our best bits and you sound like a guy i'd like to ride with.
    Philip Isand is off the chart good. Did all my CSS stuff there. We are pretty lucky down here bar the cold.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thanks for the offer mate. Will definitely try my best to come down and go for a ride with you.

12. Agree 100%. Great write up

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good post, sticky?

14. Thanks mate. Not sure if it's sticky worthy though as I am sure lots of more experienced riders can have a better input. If mods decide to sticky then I am happy either way.

15. Great post!

Question though, why would people sell there bikes after 6 months though? I mean I have had my Ninja almost 2 years and love it. I am still on my restricted license of course. I wouldnt upgrade until I am off restriction!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Just an observation of mine. A few riders get a cheap bike which is not powerful and realise they wish for more power as they are now more confident or the style of bike is not ideal for their riding.
    For the lucky ones who pick the right bike for them from the get go it's a non issue.
    I went from a 250 ninja to a 300 ninja in a few months as the lack of overtaking ability was frustrating after a while.
    The 300 ninja was my ideal lams bike. Which I only sold to get a 600cc ones on fulls. But the fact that I bought a cheap first bike allowed me to chop and change without a financial hit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Good idea, also moved the thread to a better home for it I reckon.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Yeah that makes perfect sense! I went the route people told me not to do and just bought a new Ninja 300... Lucky for me I have no regrets! Although I now am looking forward to the day I can get a "Big boy Bike" haha

• Like Like x 1
  19. I agree with some of your points. Not so much some of the others.

Glad you're still enjoying yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I think some of it is good, but a lot of that is a matter for the individual. If you can afford a brand new bike straight of the bat and you understand the risks, why not buy a brand new bike.

• Like Like x 1