Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two stroke top-end rebuild?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by blackjacket, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a Cagiva Mito. Most of the examples out there will need their 10,000 k top-end rebuild within the next few thousand kays.

How much should I expect to pay for that to be done? Does it have to happen at 10,000 k's or should I wait for a telltale sign?

Thanks,

bj

2. The worst mistake is to wait for symptoms before doing anything. If anything, a abnormal rattle, loss in performance, fuel consumption, hard starting etc

Not sure with the mito, but ur looking at replacing piston, rings minumum. Not sure about barrell. For piston, rings, pin, small end, circlips, maybe 250.

All up including barrel ur looking at around 650, this is what a rs125 costs.

3. do a search been covered plenty.
    basicly its a few hundred and a weekend job if ur good with a spanner

Now what i would recomend is getting a compression test and testing the presure which will be a much more precise measurement of how long u can wait before it needs replacing.

depending a fair bit on luck some of these can last 20, 25,000km

4. some guy on a UK forum got nearly 30,000ks before it died and he needed a rebuild

but from what I've heard it's better to pre-empt the service, because if something fails it will damage the engine around it.

Aitkens have quoted me 850 for my top-end rebuild on my rs125
    Bikebiz quoted me 1500-2000.

just hit 12,000ks, I'm due for my first. I've heard good things about the guys at Aitkens so I'm going to give them a try. lost a lot of confidence with the Bikebiz bike shop.

5. Buy a manual and have a go it it yourself :-k

Two strokes are not that complicated

6. Where can I buy a manual? Can't find one ebay, and I all the workshop manual threads link to the same early 90's model manual.

I'm so scared, I hope I don't buy another lemon...

7. dude u dont even need a manual.
    Its a two stroke its dead simple.

U take the of the part around the spark plug and keeep pullin stuff of till u see the piston.
    Rip it of put a new one one put it back together ur done.

http://www.dansmc.com/

a nice little quide on there searhc through it

8. On a single cylinder like yours a top end rebuild should be pretty straight forward, if you can handle basic servicing yourself you should be prety right. If your paying a shop to do it, you can add at least $400 onto the price just in labour, before parts.