Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two stroke reborn??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by JohnG., Mar 12, 2006.

1. I don't thik this could be called a two stroke... more a fourstroke...
  2. Supercharged RC cars, I know what I want for christmas !!! :grin: :grin:
  3. I seem to remember reading something about that rotating valve technology - I think it was actually an Aussie that invented it. Basically not really that different from a standard 4-stroke engine but the valves open and close based on a rotating ring (I thought of it as being similar to the salt containers you get from the supermarket). Not more efficient (in fact think less so) than the current system but is lighter and cheaper to produce so perfect for small engines.
  4. The original design was called the Coates Rotating Valve aka Rotary Valves.

Supposed to be a major improvement over traditional valvetrain actuation and its been in the hype for a long time, not surprised another company used the idea before Coates got around to doing somehting with it.
  5. Fascinating re-birth of the old sleeve valve idea, (there's nothing new under the sun, especially in engine design)

Yes, it is a four-stroke engine, and at 75kw per litre is impressive. I'd be interested if some guru can explain why the tecnhology is only suitable for small engines, however.
  6. It's not only suitable for small engines, I believe BMW is toying with the idea of using it on cars. However I think the problem is that it wears out much faster than traditonal valves and is more difficult to service/replace (could be wrong). So unless they can make sure it'll at least survive the standard 100~150,000km warranty period they're not likely to use it in cars.
    Edit: Also be interesting to know whether it is more or less compliant with emissions regs than conventional valves.