Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two sets of questions

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by thewolf, Apr 5, 2010.

1. I've got a neighbor and Role playing mate who I can ask questions of but I thought I would ask here as well. one question is the more important one, one is a curiosity question. (This will be the curiosity question as I suspect the important one goes elsewhere.)

What is it with the market for Learner bikes? I've gone ahead an bought my 250R new, mainly because looking ta the various adds and the like, to buy something second hand, i'd be paying basically the same amount. In my case second hand 250R's seems to be going for mid 7k, while I got mine new for mid 7ks :)

Did I miss something totally when I was looking at bikes, It didn't make much sense to me.

The Wolf
  2. 250s keep their second-hand prices artificially high because there's a captive market for them; learners and new riders have little choice, thus demand keeps prices high....
  3. Thanks, that bit I understood, it's just how high it's keeping the pricing has me stumped. When I see ads for 2nd hand bikes HIGHER than what I just paid for the same model new, it left me scratching my head. (And wondering, have they done something to the bike to make this years model cheaper? Or did I just do nicely getting such a bike at that price and I should feel chuffed with myself.) At the moment I'm starting to fall into the latter category.

The (getting chuffed) Wolf \\:D/
  4. He dresses up like a nurse? :-s
  5. mate i bought my first bike a 2009 Ninja 250R (dark blue) for $7800 through a dealer brand new, i knocked up 1000km's and took it for its first service and then decided i wanted the new 2010 250R blue bike, so I advertised it and sold it for $8000. The guy who bought the bike off me loved the bike and said that he could not be bothered dealing with a dealer. I did not tell him the price I paid for it but he was happy paying $8000 and thought the price was a good deal. I then got my second 250R and paid $7300 for it. I resold this will 800km knocked up for $7400, this time a female buyer. I had a minor accident nothing too serious tho and had some minor scratches on the lower left hand side fairing, she didnt mind this at all and was happy to pay the price i advertised it for. Its about negotiation, there is a lot of competition out there and you will find it you ring one dealer and ask them what the best price they can do, take that price and knock it down by $500 and ring another dealer and ask them what their best price would be. If they offer the same or more, tell them you got a quote cheaper elsewhere. Thats what I did to get my new 09 suzuki gsxr600, I got it $2000 cheaper than what other dealers were offering me.
  6. You are right; against all possible economic reason, every day people pay more for a second-hand 250 than they could for a brand-newie, or a brand-new LAMS bike.....
  7. ...and thus the distinction is made between newbies and noobs
  8. Basically falls down to people not really thinking things through or doing their research.
  9. To be fair, some second hand bikes have some bling on them. A new exhaust, better mirrors, levers, a bit of carbon fibre, and so on.

But it is generally true that the many people don't have the patience or skill to negotiate a better price.
  10. I have a 2008 R6 for sale, im asking $47,000, shouldnt have any dramas selling it :D
  11. It's because people throw a $500 exhaust on their ninja 250r and expect that to add $500 to the resale value.. When really it's not worth a cent unless if the person buying actually cares about it.

And so on.
  12. ...which new riders/first time buyers often do...
  13. so whats the 2nd question?
  14. *laughs* The second question is in the forum appropriate for it. Was going to ask here but realised not only might folks not want to hear about it in the wrong area, but if it's in the RIGHT forum someone else who might be interested in such things might be able to find it. (After all I can't be the only newbie running in a new bike)

*finds link in case your curious... I hope*

The (I want my bike now :( ) Wolf
  15. OK...well prior to LAMBS, new twofiddies were marked up to ridiculously high prices new, simply because when you got your licence you had to buy a twofiddy...and of course second hand twofiddies held their value very well, being with the logical alternative to buying new and being ripped of... and many people would barely ride them and just wait it out till they could legally ride a bigger bike.

THEN...when LAMBS came in every noob and his dog thought **** yeah!, i'm getting me a sixfiddy...and so the market was over stocked with more twofiddies than there was demand for...new bikes (twofiddies) have to be sold, they have to be moved out the door before the next newer new model twofiddy arrives...so, the dealers figured they'd sell them for fair and honest prices instead...eg cb250 prior LAMBS, maybe 8-9k on road, post LAMBS maybe 5-6k on road.

HOWEVER, private owners wanting to sell their second hand twofiddy which they brought new prior LAMBS and got RIPPED OFF BLIND...could not accept the losses they'd now make in re-sale of a used twofiddy...and so they continued to advertise them at dearer than new prices with the hope that a sucker would come a long...and that's a reasonable expectation, there are plenty of suckers out there.

the good news is twofiddies (regardless of their licencing laws status), but in there own right, are now a cheap option for anyone looking for comparitively green transport that's dirt cheap to run, insure, register etc ...whereas prior LAMBS, your only option in that ballpark moneywise was a gay scooter or maybe a used postie bike with 10000000000k's on it.

HOWEVER, if you are a NOOB in the market for a new LAMBS bike, dealers still want to RIP YOU OF BLIND just as they did prior LAMBS...except now it's bikes like eg: cb400 that they have decided to charge overinflated ridiculously outrageous prices for.
  16. baaaaa baaaaaa lams mate not lambs :)
  17. #17 hornet, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  18. One thing nobody's thought to mention is that a lot of 250's are grey imports, that is they are imported not by the manufacturer, but by an importer who buys 2nd hand bikes in the land of the rising sun, imports them to the land of Oz, compliances them and sells them as newer bikes than what they really are. Check the compliance plate, it might read 05/09 (May 2009), but look a bit harder and find the manufacturer's build plate and it'll be stamped a few years earlier. The rego papers will say it's an '09 model, because that's when it was first complianced and registered in Australia, but it was actually first sold in Japan maybe 2 or 3 years earlier.
  19. Hmm, possible but unlikely considering I am buying this from an accreditated kawasaki dealer. I mean would they want to risk pissing off their supplier to do that? (Getting it from Peter Stevens down here)

Of course i haven't GOT the bike yet, and it's getting late so not looking for the paperwork now. :p

The (Getting tired) Wolf
  20. A new bike from a Kwaka, Zook, Yammy or whatever dealer will be fine. Also, the bikes being imported might well have changed since I had my 250. Back then (late 90's) the only 250 sports bike brought in by the OEM was the Honda CBR250R. The ZXR250R, FZR250R and I'm not sure but I think the CBR250RR were all grey imports.