Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two newb questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Riderman, Jan 4, 2010.

1. I am on Learners and ride a vtr 250.

Question 1: Highway

I am on highways a lot, so mostly going 70-80kmph. I get smashed by the wind, especially if it's a windy day and I am goign through a curved section at high speed, my head and body seem to be blown off balance. e.g. When i do a headcheck, it feels like my head is going to be blown (twisted) off by the oncoming air. Also when a truck or car passes I need to brace and hold on for dear life

How can one minimise this? Bigger bike with fairings?

Is there some way I should be leaning forward with head down to be more aerodynamic? Does this even work, I dont want to look like a tool pretending to look fast on a slow bike :)

Second question: Visibility - light rainy night

If it is just sprinkling rain, the drops do not move away from my visor and water was just smudged over the visor, not blowing off. I couldnt see anything. I had to lift the visor to see, which meant water/wind in my eyes. Very uncomfortable ride, ended up going 40-50kph all the way home. How do you guys avoid this? Just don't ride?
  2. Question 1:

just sit nice and loose on the bike. Fairings do make a difference and crouching down does too but at under 100 k's an hour the only winds that would probably be annoying would be the cross winds and do counter that you keep your upper body very relaxed so if you get blown the bike moves and you don't so it neutralises the effect.

Question 2:

If you are going fast turn your head to the side and watch the rain disappear... or use the glove to wipe it down. The best method is getting one of those little rubber windshield wiper things that you put on your glove to wipe the water away... it's the perfect crime :)
  3. heavy duty gaffa tape, over the top of your helmet (avoid visor) and under your armpits.

hope this helps, stay safe, cheers
  4. no don't do that, probably unsafe.

umm, just relax, slouch, hunker down, tuck your elbows in, you''ll be right.
    wind is always an unnerving experience for new riders...you will get used to it...in a coupla weeks you won't even notice it...just take it easy, go at your own pace...you will get more confident as you come to realize that your head is unlikely to pop off....i mean that's highly unlikely...only something like 1 in 10 noobs *pop*...so the odds are way in your favour.
  5. If I see an oncoming large truck that I KNOW will have a big wind blast behind it, I move right over to the left of the lane I'm in which does seem to avoid the greater part of the wind gust. With the raindrops on your visor, try buying a product called Cat Crap (dont be put off by the name, its good stuff), sells for around $10 at most bike accessories shops, and seems to work a treat as far as my experience goes.
  6. Thanks for the replies guys - very quick and helpful.

With that shield, do you have to get your body behind it (crouched) to have benefit?
  7. When I had a VTR250, the wind above 80 km/h $hit me and made freeway riding annoying. I got the smallish screen from Honda and it made all the difference. With the GT250, it had a fly screen fitted to it from the factory. I didn't need any more than that. You won't need to crouch down or anything with a fly screen. Go and get one and it'll take your mind off the buffeting so you can pay more attention to what's around you.
  8. cannot agree more. Counter-intuitive but works. It's all in staying relaxed, also keep your shoulders down - don't hunch them.

Realise that any bike will move in a cross wind (fairings would actually make it worse). If you stay relaxed you will find the bike moves less and is easier to correct.

Now try going into turn 1 at Eastern Creek with a cross wind, now that's scary!
  9. That's the joy of a naked, the wind is your riding buddy.
  10. therefore you are awesome!

I lean all my weight onto my wrists and this keeps a general stiffness all over, however over time you will be more comfortatable and more rigid against it.

On extremely windy days ive ridden laying right on the tank, on high wind days when youre stuck in really hi winds, it its the safest thing to do some times.

Spray youre visor with rain off, ther are also gloves that have a hard edge on the glove like a winshield wiper.

Get clear lens glassess for night visor up riding.
    Once you get it right in the rain its great cos cars slow down/easier to lane spliy, except for the lines of course and the fogged cars windows blinding the drivers!
  11. errr :confused::shock: putting weight onto your wrists is probably one of the worst things you can do on a motorcycle. Not only is it uncomfortable your bike handles badly as well.
  12. wow! everything you said was wrong.
    ...except for that last sentence...which is actually very good advice...being aware of cars with fogged up windows not being able to see you and not caring enough that they can't see shit, to bother clearing their windows...this particular species of car tard is one of the more dangerous variety...commonly encountered on your way to work on chilly mornings.
    ...another good point within your last excellent sentence> truth is riding in bad weather is great because the majority of car tards do have to slow down and make an effort to drive more carefully...unlike perfect riding days where you get the drunks and the hoons.
  13. and rain off cannot be used on perspex...just use dishlex > it works better and it's free.
    you will find some in the cupboard under the sink in the lunchroom
  14. When I went from riding in a big bulky textile jacket to a fitted leather jacket - I noticed a huge difference in wind effect.

Fitted leather FTW.
  15. I travel now n then up Bruce highway to Maryborough..280 k`s?..but find leaning forward and down and riding aggressive/ confident breaks the wind...a good quote from Wayne Dyer...`if you`re constantly looking over your shoulder, you`re really saying that...`you`re determining how I should feel right now`...since practising that, I just go my own pace n give it some when I can (legally) of course...take care mate ;-)
  16. I usually just cock a leg for that - watch for follow through:busting:
  17. Please don't do this!

The only load you want on the handlebars is what you put in when countersteering. You don't want to be leaning on them. If you feel yourself leaning onto them grip the tank with your legs. In high wind your legs can be stiff but you need to keep your torso very loose.

You will feel the difference in crosswinds... The wind hits you, the bike moves to an angle but you stay on the same bit of road. I've scared a few cars crossing the bridge near my place on high wind days when i've been smashed by a crosswind and the bike has been leant over in their direction but the bike didn't move over. Staying loose DEFINITELY works so I would strongly recommend it.

As for a crosswind at turn 1 at the creek... 8-[ Eeep! :LOL: Its strong enough in your face without a bloody crosswind to mix things up! :rofl:
  18. Yep, you want the least amount of weight on the bars at all times. Having weight on the bars, especially stiff armed weight, interferes with the suspension, will make you run wide in corners and is generally uncomfortable too.

In the wind grip on to the bike, but remain relaxed through the shoulders/elbows and go with the flow.
  19. tilt your head down a little in the wind or at speed, its more aerodynamic. Keep it tilted down when your turn your head to check your blind spots too. Grip with your knees, say loose and keep your elbows tucked in.