Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two jacket questions, if I may....

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by hornet, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I have two jackets.

One is a Moto-Dry winter-type jacket which I bought with the bike, 6 1/2 years ago. It's still in great shape, and has always been very waterproof, but I'm wondering if you can buy some sort of substance which will restore its original resistance to water? Kinda like re-proofing the old Belstaffs, for those of us who remember that.......

My other jacket is a Moto-Dry Stealth textile, for summer. It's in good shape too, considering its age, but I'm becoming increasingly concerned about its integrity if it happens to meet the road. Can you buy a leather jacket with decent ventilation, so you get good protection, but don't suffocate in summer??

(I read all the ads in Cycle-Torque, etc, but they are very confusing with claim and counter-claim, etc, so I figure some Netrider experience might beat editorial comment.)

2. You can get a perforated leather Jacket.
  3. Go to Ozmotorcycle leathers and they will cut you a jacket which is more perf'ed than you can get anywhere else i've seen.. Apparently they can perf the sleeves too :eek:
  4. Years ago in the UK I tried some stuff in an aerosol that I got in a camping/surplus shop that claimed to waterproof fabric. It appeared to be some sort of plastic stuff in a solvent.

I can't for the life of me remember now whether it worked or not but, given that one of my motivations for moving to Australia was because I was sick of being damp for 8 months out of 12, I'm guessing probably not :D.
  5. I just bought a Dainese Rebel jacket from www.bimoto.be

MUCH cheaper than buying Dainese in Aus and they have the perforated version available. It also has air vents in the front and sides. Me is a nice cool happy rider :)
  6. You can buy waterproofing spray at Bunnings.