Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two finger clutching

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Hyssy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Hey, hey...

Now I know using 2 fingers on your front brake is a common practise, but while looking around the net for a few pics of VFRs I noticed a Honda one, where the guy is covering his clutch with 2 fingers. It got me a bit interested in it and I've given it a go myself a few times. I seem to be able to change a bit smoother that way but it bloody knackers my fingers.

Does anyone else use this method, or avoids it for any particular reason? Purely out of interest. I'm guessing you may use it for the same reason as 2 finger braking for more grip on the bars. Enlighten me! :grin:
  2. If I used two fingers to depress the clutch I would have to crush the other two to get the bike into neutral. Conversely, my brakes would lock up long before I got the lever to the grip, making two fingered braking easy to manage.

I guess it's all personal preference, but I try to avoid doing anything which increases my hands' fatigue while riding.
  3. I use one finger for clutch-up wheelies, four for everything else. On the other side it's four fingers for stoppies and emergencies, two for everything else.

Although if I've been riding for a while and my hands are tired, I might rest two fingers on the lever.
  4. mm, now I have to think about things I do automatically :?

As a legacy of my two-stroke days :shock: I always have at least one finger resting over the clutch lever at all times. But since I don't use the clutch very much anyway, I'd have to say that it's usually only with two fingers, and sometimes only with one.....

(17 years as a chef gives you strong fingers and hands; I'm in great demand to open recalcitrant bottles and jars :LOL:).
  5. I've riden bikes with cable operated clutches, that need all your hand. One was a GSX750E had to have heavier clutch springs to stop the the slipping. It will vary between bikes, some you will be able to some you wont. But personally I use all, as it gives me better control....and at the lights?
    Try holding the clutch in for any length of time a the traffic lights with 2 fingers. Oh and when the cable breaks don't complain to me about your fingers getting crushed.
  6. Radial master cylinder, shorty levers. One fingered braking and clutch!
  7. Hydraulic clutch with a short throw = 2 fingers for me.
  8. One question is does your clutch actually have to come in all the way to get a smooth change?
    in fact do you have to use it at all.
    Generaly I find that if I am not splitting it is easier to do clutchless shifts. I sometimes have to proactivly remember to pull the clutch in when rolling to a stop i use it that rearly (Or I am going to have to learn to clutchless shift into nutral :grin: )
  9. Ill be buggered if i can do 2 fingered clutching. 2 finger braking is not a problem with the pazzo levers but my clutch is that bloody heavy i need at least 3 fingers. Was riding MGs bike the other day and noticed his is much lighter than mine and he also commented after that about how heavy mine was.
  10. The angle of some (especially the short levers) gives you much more leverage on the clutch. So for example with mine, I only need to pull it 50% of the way to get decent dis-engagement of the clutch. But the bike also has a slipper plate, so this works in its favour. I can do this into first with the strength of two fingers, whilst travelling in higher gears, only one needed.

I would say for non-race bikes (eg. designed to be slick shifted) full depression of the clutch (or near to it) lever is required.

Also (as in Moto GP racing) you can fit a quick shifter to the bike which eliminates the need to use the clutch lever at all (beyond first).
  11. So 1 years diference between teh two bikes and ther eis that much difference in there clutch feel?
  12. Nah not a years difference. Theyre both the same year. Kishys bike has standard levers whereas mine has pazzo. Although, even when mine had standard levers, we both noticed that mine was considerably heavier too. Weird.
  13. She's just tight mate! :LOL:
  14. 2 fingures for braking and clutch in every situation except shifting in wheelies or racing then clutch isn't used.
  15. I was repeatedly told off for using anything less than 4 fingers on either the clutch or brake when doing my learners course. Old habits are hard to break.
    I guess if you can do 2 fingers then you must have strong fingers. For those of us with weak fingers practice might pay off eventually.
  16. Four fingers on the clutch when coming to / from a stand still, only because that's what is comfy. I don't really pull the clutch in so far when down / up shifting, it's pretty smooth if you get the revs right. So clutch usage is more of a dab with the two little fingers when on the move.

I got four finger braking beaten into me at Stay Upright, so I have practiced that whilst blipping the throttle. Now I do it without thinking, or want for change.

The grip on the bars isn't so such a concern now I have fitted some stomp grips, most impressed with them.
  17. That's interesting as both the Hart course (I can't for the life of me remember the level, just next up after you pass) and the California superbike school both got me into 2 finger braking.

As for the clutch, I'll stick with 4 fingers...
  18. I don't see how anyone can make a hard and fast rule. :? The same bike, same brakes, but with a 16x16 brembo radial M/C vs a 16x18, and there's the difference between 1 and 2 finger braking. 4 seems a bit excessive unless you're EXPECTING to get brake fade and might have to pull the lever the whole way back to the bars.

Any explanation port80?
  19. Well, that's their rule, not mine :) I just chose to give it a shot.

Their explanation goes along the lines of you get the most feel and control by using all four fingers, particularly your outer ones. Also you're less inclined to crush your fingers if the lever goes back to the bar :eek: I used to use three fingers (outer three) on the brake and one for throttle control, but now I have as much if not more control using the base of my thumb for throttle control.

EDIT: Now keep in mind this is for general consumption, lowest common denominator road riding (even if it were the advanced courses).

Apart from throttle control, what is to be gained by two finger braking?
  20. I do it for feel only. 75% effort with one finger = a stoppie with my brakes. With two fingers it's a hell of a lot easier to over do it. With four.... well I dont really try that. Then in the dirt, I hook my finger around the lever closer in to the pivot point to get less leverage. I could run a bigger master cylinder, but I tried that, and I got massive arm pump.

I'm open to instruction though. I seem to remember from onboard footage that Rossi and co. use four fingers.