Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two bikes in one

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jawntybull, Jul 13, 2008.

1. I know this is probably no surprise to experienced riders, but as a relative newbie...

I discovered today that my GS500 is actually TWO bikes. There's the one I've been riding for the last month - nice and easy to ride, cruisy with lots of torque up to around 7k rpm... a good blend for commuting and short day rides, etc etc

Today I uncovered my second bike - keep the revs over 7k, keep the speed up in sweeping bends, throw it around a bit - and it feels like a different machine - V.F. FAST (for me!). I'd like to write more but G2G so I can go riding again this afternoon :)

2. I'm glad you're enjoying your GS; they're a top bike.

What amuses me, as an old bastard, is that we now think of the GS500 as a small bike, a commuter or a learner's bike. Back in 1975, Triumph were still rolling out 750 Bonnevilles. Though they were outpaced by Japanese 750s, they were still considered a big bike back in the day. Weighed about 180kg. Power? About 50bhp or 35kw, with a top speed of 110-115mph or 180 kmh.

So, what does a 174kg GS500 put out? Around 50bhp and has a top speed of 110-115mph or 180kmh.

Plus it has a six-speed gearbox, great electrics, much better brakes and an electric starter. This is not to knock Triumphs, but to show that we have raised our expectations rather high when a Bonnie-beater is considered just a commuter bike. Seems to me it's all in how its ridden, and you've now discovered the last third of the tacho. Have fun, stay safe.
  3. Yep - and driving to pick up my daughter last night I noted that my (reasonably sporty) Honda car redlines at 7k; its fun up to that point thanks to VTEC, but then again, that's just when the GS is getting frisky!