Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Two bikes are better than one?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Some discussion in the 'noisy 250s' thread has gone far beyond that issue, and I found it interesting enough to start a new thread.

The claim has been made that it is (or can be) cheaper over all to have a cheap small commuter bike as well as a sports bike than to commute on the sports bike.

Hopefully we can get away from the 'anyone who chooses to do it differently from the way I do is a poser/wanker/whatev', and just discuss the issue from a cost perspective.

No doubt there are lots of assumptions to be made about type and cost of the two bikes, length of commute, amount of sports riding on weekends and whether it's track days or road, age and insurance cost of rider and so on.

But have at 'er, guys: make your case.

2. (I have no dog in the fight, since the Bandit serves both purposes well enough for my needs)

3. I think it depends on how much riding you get to do; most of my commuting is by force of circumstance in the car, so I relish any chance to ride the VFR; another bike would divide my riding time between two machines.....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Definitely depends on the length of your commute. I seriously considered buying a POS commuter when I had a 70km daily round trip, but it would be pointless now that I'm doing less than 10km.
    Tyres, servicing and km-based depreciation eat into your budget on a big bike, but are way less on a smallish hack.

5. It would be cheaper in Tas if your 2nd bike was a 125cc or under, as they benefit from really cheap rego.
    Other than that unless you ride something super special I don't see the point, they're built to be ridden...

To me two bikes are better than one - Speed Triple for the road, GSXR 600 for the track.

Road and track is the only time I'd bother with 2 bikes

6. Built to be ridden is true, but adapted to particular purposes. Something on which you're hunched up like a jockey might be uncomfortable for stop-start traffic, depending on your body shape. And might struggle to comfortable do 5 km/h. And so on.

As I said, many many variables, and costs ain't all of them...

Looking only at costs, you'd save on tyres, potentially quite a bit. Fuel savings would probably be fairly marginal, unless you got a scooter or something, since putting around in traffic won't chew that much even in a sports bike. You'd save on depreciation/km building up on the bike, which would be more relevant on the more expensive bike.

Additional costs would be purchase and rego.

Insurance would depend very much on your circumstances: you'd need *some*, even just TPP, on the second bike. Depends whether you can get a big discount for 'weekend use only' or whatever on the sports bike.

It's really so polyfactorial that it would be silly to make a blanket claim, IMO.

Thing is, it's something that's worth at least thinking about and running your own numbers on... there are always more options than we see at first glance.

7. Yes...bottom line...if like myself you rely entirely on motorbike's and although could get your car p's at the drop of a coin have no desire to? ...a second bike is a worth-while investment....to put it simply A - you can go down the avenue of simply having two sports bikes to enjoy on the weekends whilst using one to commute to during the week ...but if one of the bikes breaks down...gets in a accident...whatever - you've got the backup there

weigh the costs up of losing out on work or paying extra for public transport and the likes for the length of time your bike is out of action (when you've only got the one bike.) and it levels thing's up to some extent when looking at this from a financial stand-point.

8. Let us say that you do 10000 kms a year (5000 commuting and 5000 fun) and you buy an R6 compared to buying a R6 and a second 250cc bike

After 5 years, if you only own the R6 it will have 50000kms on it. It's paint would have faded from being in the sun at work and I doubt that you will get more than $5000 for it.

If you had bought a second bike you would only have 25000kms on the R6 and you will be able to sell it for more like $8000.

$4000 will get a 250cc that you will still have more than $1000 value in it after another 25000 kms.

That is on the R6 which is probably the best comparison for the single bike, a 1000cc or an exotic bike would depreciate harder.

9. I am pretty happy with my Versys 650L as a good all rounder. I ride every day into the CBD in stop start traffic and then use the bike for long runs on the weekend.

With 9 months to go to full license I have started to look at the issue of what to upgrade to in order to continue to meet my requirements. I would really like a BMW K1300S or GT but not sure it is ideal for the daily commute.

I will probably end up with another dual sport adventurer style bike the the Versys 1000, Ducati Multristrada 1200 or something similar although I would like a fully faired bike for the long runs.

Hopefully some new products come to the market in the next 9 mths to make the choice easier.

As for having 2 bikes, this is a hassle but probably ideal.

10. What has ANY of that got to do with this thread?

11. I read an article about owing two bikes recently and the basic jist was.

1. have your sports bike, you main bike for example.

2. buy a 250cc bike (cheap reg and insurance) as a commuter

3. make sure the second bike is is like a road trail bike with basic mechanics to keep the maintenance costs down.

4. the idea is to save wear and tear and your on your main bike

12. There's a lot of assumptions there. And you've missed a lot of the costs...

The biggest I can see is that someone would pay 8 grand for a 5 year old R6

Buy a real bike for the road, take the long way home and enjoy yourself, thats what motocyclings about, not "saving" money.

Like I said, I very much doubt having 2 bikes will save anyone money, unless they ride something like a Desmosedici as a weekender.\

For people who actually like to corner hard, buy 2 bikes indeed, a road bike and a track bike.

That was you dont have to push as hard on the road, you can run slightly less aggressive tyres which in this day and age can hang on well and still do 7500 even on a litre bike.
    2nd bike - track only, costs are tyres maintenance and fuel, no 2nd rego 2nd insurance.
    Thats the only way 2 bikes make sense, as you dont risk an expensive road bike at the track where it will be uninsured.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Believe it or not, I do see where VC is coming from (all written in another thread). I just think that, like most things, it has to come down to the individuals circumstances.

I can certainly see that if I owned an exotic sports bike that had relatively high service costs and commuted more than 40km in very slow traffic, I'd seriously consider a 250 commuter.

However, if my commute was on say a Bandit 1200 (not a sports bike I know), the saving in service costs would be minimal, and depending on what tyres I fitted the saving there wouldn't be huge either.

But the whole premise of owning a second bike becomes redundant if you can't afford to buy the second bike in the first place.

14. LOL....I was kinda thinking the same.

In regards to buying a hack to commute on whilst preserving your sports bike, I say fvck that, why spend most of your time on a bike you don't like....as the saying goes, life is uncertain, eat desert first ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. There are some issues not mentioned in the thread so far.

Insurance can be higher if the motorbike is used for day to day commuting rather than just as a weekend toy. For example I pay just under $600 comprehensive insurance for my Harley with an agreed value of $25,995 and new for old replacement for the first 2 years. If OTOH I chose to commute on the bike on a regular basis and declared that and the bike was parked on the street at work my insurance would triple to almost $2000 per year. The extra insurance cost can be significant.

The KLR650 has comprehensive insurance which costs me about $250 per year (market value) and registration/insurance cost of about $450 per year. That more than offsets the increased insurance cost of commuting on the Harley.

In addition the already mentioned depreciation would be lots higher if the Harley was left out in the sun and the rain and ended up weathered than if it's kept garaged and the KLR used on wet riding trips.

So sure... each case is different but in my particular situation having a 2nd bike (or a cheap car for that matter) is cheaper than using my main bike for commuting.

16. Yes and thats a case where it does ring true, but most peoples sports bikes arent worth 26k. Also for some people the insurance jump between occasional and daily isn't so big (me as case in point).

And the other thing - I would blow my brains out if I had to ride a KLR650 to work every day, many others would be the same. I enjoy riding a nice bike to work in the morning and the long way home of an afternoon

17. That's actually one thing I forgot, VC's whole argument is null and void if you ride a motorcycle for fun. It actually only means something if you are riding to save money.

18. Two bikes are better than one - YES (If you can afford it).

I would have 3 bikes if I could afford them. :)

19. I live in the country and my long way home is via bush tracks so having to ride the KLR home isn't really a problem for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fair point, a Speed Triple wouldnt be much fun through the bush ;)