Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tv upgrade

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ibast, Jan 10, 2007.

1. OK, I have an inbuilt gadget filter.

The problem is I now have to upgrade my TV and I'm as confused as buggery.

New aspect ratio
    Better pictur quality, but not over the top about it.
    min 79cm. Definatly don't want super huge as the room is not that big and I think it's just dumb watching the news on a 500" TV.

It looks like I can get something in the $1000-1500 range and that's my budget, but the details have confused me.

Leaning towards a high definiton CRT or a LCD.
  2. Here's a good article on the differences between LCD and Plasma.

I have a high-def rear-projection Samsung CRT at home and it kicks arse - but only because we have a room big enough for it.

If you're going to be close to the screen, LCD will give you the sharpest picture - but plasma and CRT will have better viewing angles [and no ghosting like on cheap LCDs {they get better all the time though}].

Samsung are a really solid brand in TV's at the moment.
    So are Sony: but a little overpriced.
    LG don't seem to be paving the way too much in tech or pricing.
    Toshiba/Panasonic etc will all do a nice TV.

Don't discount Viewsonic in the game if their TV's your right size. They made their name in monitors and do quality gear. Only think I'd check for is features like sound output compatibility, AV options, picture-in-picture etc - as although a solid unit, may lack some things you want or are useful.

If you go shopping:
    -take your own DVD: something with a lot of bass in the sound-track and a lot of dark scenes with lights and high-contrast. This will give you a stock speaker road-test, unless you have separate sound system AND give you an idea of how the TV deals with black.

All TV stores will have Finding Nemo or something playing, 'cause CGI graphics are smooth and make anything look like a $10,000 plasma screen, picture wise.
  3. Thanks for that

So is there such thing as a High Definition CRT?

Do LCDs work in bright light?

Aren't all TV's High definition ready?

Whats the point in going to a higher resolution on your TV, then the broadcaster can provide?
  4. I'm not sure about what makes a CRT "High-def" over a standard one, other than the quality of the tube and screen which they are using these days.

LCD's are fairly reflective, but not much more than any other screen. Obviously direct sunlight/reflection will annoy the crap out of you when trying to watch, so appropriate steps(curtains :)) should be taken.

Most new TV's will accept a digital tuner / set-top box for improved digital picture quality.
    TV's above a certain resolution [or number of pixels per square inch] will earn "High Definition" as part of their title - as technology improves, so does resolution though: so this bar is raised every few months.

Going for higher resolution will improve picture quality the closer you are to the screen.
    New picture format tech like Blue-Ray, or even as cable TV evolves etc, which delivers higher quality picture is also what you are allowing for in the future, when you buy a higher resolution TV.
  5. Is there really any point getting a High Def TV as Australian broadcaster do very little in HD
  6. Sure: if you do anything besides watch free-to-air... like DVD's, consoles, etc.

Keep in mind, we are entering a new technological age as far as interacting with digital media goes - add an Xbox 360 or Apple TV to your loungeroom and you'll be using your TV for pictures, online movie clips, films, music videos etc.
    All online. All digital. All on demand. All high definition.

It depends how long you want to keep the TV for, and if you are spending over $1000, then my guess is at least a couple of years - so you want it to do all the things you want it to for the next 2 years.
    For example: I think TV's will keep AV inputs for a while to deal with old hardware, but I expect fewer and fewer peripherals to come with AV outputs in the future. Favouring DVI and S-Video to improve quality and reduce cables/cost - so it pays to get a TV with up-to-date input options and the flexibility to act as a computer monitor as well.
  7. I have a Sanyo 77cm CRT widescreen with a standard def set top box and all up only cost me $950 :shock:

I will get a larger set one day but this one suits me just fine for day to day watching. I would probably lean towards a LCD in the size you are looking at but I still thinkthat CRT is pretty good value for money.
  8. I brought the Samsung 132cm Rear Projector in 1998 and its bloody great, even with today standards. I paid almost $9000 bucks for it back then, but i has been worth every cent. My tv is on 20+ hours per day as i do shift work and forget to turn it off. The picture is still perfect !!!
  9. I got a 127cm Sony rear projection for the soccer world cup and couldn't see the screen for all the people that came over! :rofl: It cost $4000 with home theatre, set top, dvd and cabinet.

In the shop the salesmen always try to up their sale by comparing types of tv sceens and say look how great this one is for only $5 million more!

The logic of that is unless you buy all of them, how can you compare in your own home!

Mine's great and the beauty of the rear projecting type is after a while you can easily replace the globes (cheap @ ebay) instead of throwing away a plasma etc.
  10. I've been wanting to upgrade to a hi-definition TV for some time. I got an xbox 360 and some stuff just doesn't cut it on a SD 68cm CRT.

From my research an LCD in the 32 to 37 inch range is about right. Probably cost about $1500 to $2500. Add a hi definition digital tuner and TV should be great. If you aren't wanting hi definition then I think the plasma's might be a bit better, but I haven't really researched them.

I think hi-definition is definitely the way to go, since more and more programs will support it over time. Even standard definition digital is a considerable improvement over analogue.

I still don't have one because the gf is a tightarse :p I'd be sleeping on the couch in front of the tv if I bought one...
  11. Well mine has done roughly over 45000 TV hours since i brought it and ive still havent had to replace the globes.
  12. Yeah, but I bet my dad could beat your dad!!! :rofl:
  13. OK, so I ended up with a NEC 81cm LCD. $1200. So far I am happy. My research lead me to the opinion that it wasn't worth getting a budget brand Plasma. The known brands were out of my budget

Similar with and LCD but some name brands and more reasonably priced.

The next thing (next month) is likely to be a digital reciever. So far my what I know is there are two types. Standard definition and High definition. I can't see why I would get a standard definition, especially since my new TV has better resolution then the HD units can provide.

So why are some so much dearer then others? Surley, once you have connected them, all they do is act as a blob in the antena cable.

Are the e-bay ones any good? Broad question, I know, but $125 vs $750. for what?
  14. One difference is in how long they take to process the signal - with some of the cheaper boxes I've seen there's a significant pause between changing channels. Not a problem for some but annoying if you're the sort of person that likes to flick between channels regularly.
  15. Often connectivity (important - video and audio outputs), reliability, convenience, sensitivity to interference. But realistically I don't think there is a huge amount of difference.

I actually can't comment on pure- set-top boxes, but I do have a PVR (hard-drive video recorder). There the factors affecting price are size of the hard drive, how nice the interface is, functions and number of tuners. The sort of functions you want are being able to pause live TV easily and then continue watching (and fast forward through ads). Having multiple tuners lets you record one channel and watch another in high definition. Though with a single tuner you should be able to watch one recording while recording another.
    Mine is a rather simple SD, single tuner box, but I did my research and it does most of what I want and only cost about $250.

The top of the line Topfields cost a lot, but do everything and I think you can even download recordings onto your computer (if you know what you are doing).

http://www.dtvforum.info/ is a good forum to check out.

Oh and I might add - PVR's are awesome. TV is pretty crap really, but with a PVR you can make sure you don't miss the few shows that might be good. Mine is set up to record the Simpsons or Futurama every day, so there is always something to watch.
  16. uhhh DVD?

dvd is standard definition..... you mean Bluray or HDVD? Blue Ray will be true HD, but the player costs more than the TV :LOL:

and High def ain't high def.....

if your TV is 720p or some variant it is"HD" but really is only displaying
    1,280x720 or 1,366x768 whereas true HD is 1,920x1,080

there is an increasing amount of Hd footage, but usually it is 720p, very rare to get true HD footage.
    government targets are currently at 2012 for all footage being HD (excluding of course, legacy programs) of course they had that target in 2004. then 2008, now 2012.
    However it is likely that 2012 is achievable since HD cameras are now becoming affordable for the prosumer.

17. Many of them bang on about 5.1.

So if I buy one with this capability, does this mean all I need is the speakers?
  18. Not sure. Years ago you could get DVD players that just output digital for an external decoder or those that had an internal decoder. I'm not sure what way the digital tv market has gone. There might be both. I'd also check what actually gets broadcast. I don't think most tv gets broadcast in 5.1 anyway, though the HD broadcasts might. The forums I linked previously discusses everything related to HD and digital TV. They will know.

Damn all this talk of tv's and HD and stuff has me itching to get a new tv :twisted:
  19. you will need an amplifier if you really want good sound, but i'm guessing any speaker set will get sold with the amplifier.
    HD doesn't mean surround sound, it only refers to the resolution. I guess it depends on the TV but our setup has the digital box leading into the dvd player which then feeds to the amp.

If you are looking at getting a big tv I advise not scrimping on the sound. Sound is 50% of a movie. if you have a choice of a 1080p tv but only the tv speakers or a cheaper 720p tv with quality surround sound speakers, the latter is the better setup imho.
  20. go plasma you sooks.

i got a gazillion inch plasma that i won in a competition and it simply rocks. it rocks so much that i had to move the widescreen RP downstairs :shock:

had an lcd and it sucked, but im told they are getting better.

go plasma, especially if you WIN one :p