Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tutoro Chain Oiler

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by mattb, Aug 30, 2010.

1. I've had a Tutoro chain oiler on my bike now for a couple of weeks. I thought I'd give a basic review:

In summary, it's cheap and it works well.

It's a back shed business by some guy in the UK - he designed and produces it at home. The system involves a plastic tube holding the oil, with a tap at the bottom, into which a rubber tube is fitted. That tube, by the help of some wire inside it, is positioned to the rear sprocket with it's little nozzle placed on the sprocket. When you turn the tap on, the oil drips through the nozzle and onto the sprocket where centrifugal force takes it to the chain. And hence, a nicely oiled chain.

I paid slightly more and got the "twin feed" nozzle unit, meaning oil is dispensed onto both sides of the sprocket. I've ridden the bike for about eight hundred kilometers with it on, and while it went out of shape at first and so needed some tweeking, it has held together and stayed in place ever since.

It takes about twenty or thirty minutes for the oil to empty, with the tap turned out three turns, so I only turn it on when I am about to ride for at least that long. Otherwise I inevitably forget to turn it off, and come back to a puddle of oil by my bike.

I just use the cheapest car oil I can find. I don't use sump oil in case a particle ends up in the plastic tap.

There's a little splashing of oil onto the sidewall of the tyre. It's very minimal, and if you don't care about that sort of thing, there's no problems. There's no danger from it.

The twin feed unit costs about $40AU posted.

Road Magazine voted it "Best Buy" from among chain oilers. I needed two, but purchased only one to see if it's any good. I will buy another (which says a lot coming from Captain Povo the Tight Arse).

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/ No more bothering with a spray can in one hand while I push the bike along with the other! And, I suspect, a much better lubrication of the chain and an extended chain life!

The oiler, fitted to my SR500:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. You are taking the piss right?

30 mins to empty a full tube? Oil on the sidewalls but it's ok, it makes riding exciting?

Checkout a scottoiler man, a tube of oil that big should last you months, and should most definately not be running fast enough to leave oil on your tyres. I know you said cheap and all that, I'm not trying to be rude. But I highsided from an oily tyre, and it is NOT something you wanna do for kicks.
  3. Do you use it with the tap out three turns or less? How long does it last on one turn?
  4. Lilley, I prefer to get the chain oily early on, so I do three turns, but you cod set it as slow as you want.

Vtr, I simply fail to see the problem with that flow rate. It's different to an (expensive) scottoiler, but it works, so what does that matter?

I perchance don't ever ride on the sidewall of my tyres, but if I did, a tiny splash of oil would be the least of my problems! But what use is a keyboard test? Mine, and the long-term experience of people all over the web, is that it's safe and effective. If a person's concerned about the oil on the tyre, the single feed nozzle set to the outside of the sprocket would cure that. I must say, though, I'm talking about a splash that is no more than experienced by many spray on lubes - there's no danger, just an aesthetic issue. (And, looking at those photos, can you guess how much I care about a dirt and grease spoiling the look?)
  5. I would buy the "loobman" chain oiler (also out of the UK), its cheaper and better. One full oil bottle lasts me about 2000km and you just put as much or as little in the tube as you want before you set off.

Mine (with new chain) has been on the bike for 35000km and I have only adjusted the chain once. I should get 60-70000km from the chain easy.

6. Looks good Mattb, thanks for the review.

On the flow rate thing, I've read that as little as one to two drops per minute is enough to keep a chain well lubed, but then again, I don't have or use a chain oiler...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I would regard that flow rate as excessive. My own Scottoiler is set so that I only need to fill it up at 5000km services or thereabouts and that's enough to keep the chain moist and make a mess of the back of the bike, so I figure it's about right :D.

I like that twin nozzle. It looks vastly simpler but superior to the expensive Scottoiler one that I sprang for, before realising it was a heap of troublesome rubbish. One more failure and it's coming off and the standard single feed is going on.

Agree that a few splashes of oil on the sidewall aren't generally a problem. Having ridden a wide variety of mobile oil-leaks over the years, unless the oil is applied driectly to the tread in substantial quantities, grip is unaffected. MrsB's Commando was about the only dangerous one, but that was capable of ejecting 2 litres of Castrol's finest in 100 miles before I did the head gasket so it was a bit of an extreme case.

I'd still turn me needle valve down a bit if I were you though :grin:.
  8. Yeah, when my partner's SR185 starting hosing pools of oil out of the crank case breather hose, I thought that was a little dangerous. Maybe.

I'll take it out by just one turn and see what timeframe that gives.
  9. Yeah fair enough mate, was a good honest review, I was just a little fearful for your health, but if you aint worried, then neither am I, to each their own. Any oiler is still better than none, and the chain life they give is worth it. I hope it all goes well for you.