Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Donshe, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Two questions here

1) When taking off from a stand still say at lights, turning left or right at major intersections and Im at the fornt of the pack. Do I take the whole turn in 1st or do I quickly try to get into 2nd while the bike is upright? Because I believe you shouldn't shift when leaning/turning ?

2) On winding roads, you start out wide and start coming in, a problem Ive discovered is, some turns are really loooong, and I prett ymuch end up on the edge of the road/middle of the road (depending on left/right) and run out of room. Basically then I stop leaning and take the turn slower. Now this doesnt seem right to me, so how do you judge a turn and its length and when to start cutting it?
  2. 1) What I usually do is upshift during the turn if I feel like it. Though I think this practice is usually not recommended right? Else I take the turn in first, but without laying off the throttle, either keeping it constant or steadily accelerating. Otherwise it gets jerky... Another alternative I guess is to accelerate and clutch in to avoid being jerked around :p

2) The turns that I never did, I take extra care and go slower. You never know how a turn goes if you've never done it. That is why the group rides involving twisties are a challenge for me :]
  3. Depends on the gearing of the bike. You can shift gears while cornering in this instance since you are neither going very fast, or leaning much (if at all).

4. 1. Its advised you don't do this until you are familiar with riding/your bike. But if you're comfortable with it its not a problem. I do it, but I'm just mindful of it.

2. Experience. And in long double apex corners you reposition youself wide.
  5. Until your comfortable shifting mid corner just use first gear to get the bike moving then click it straight into second, the revs might be a touch low but it wont stall or cause you any problems.

As previously said experience is the key and knowing the roads also helps.
  6. I dont see any problems with shifting from first to second mid turn, it should not be a problem. Control the clutch.
  7. Point is that if they don't control the clutch (eg. new rider) properly, the shift in power transfer will destabilize the bike somewhat. :cool: But yes not a problem after you've had a bit of experience.
  8. Why do you want to start "cutting it"?
  9. Gentry, by cutting I just mean, the point at which I start coming in through the turn instead of remaning out wide.

Had a good couple of hours practice today one some great turns on suburban streets. Had someone more experienced then me give me some lines to give me an idea as well

Getting more confident in leaning in now.

10. :LOL: how were those lines drawn? lol who the hell rides a bicycle like a motorbike anyway!

Glad things are pulling together.
  11. its worse when the bicycle was pulling away from me...on a motorbike :(

hahahaha :shock:
  12. :LOL: :LOL: It wasn't that bad. Bicycle must have had a turbo or something.
  13. On the road, I start to come in when I can see that the road is clear, and the corner finishing.

Practice is good. And the mentor can help too.

I had about 6 hours practice at Broadford yesterday with StayUpright. Then rode about 250km before bed, up early and another 300km to be home in MIldura by 10am to beat the heat.
  14. On the way home from work i turn right at a large round about, and then into a left hand turn immediately.

If i have to come to a stop before i go through the round about i always think that when i go through it i shouldn't change gears, but i do anyway and its fine, not a problem at all. However, afterwards i get a little muddled up with thinking that I'm accelerating, change up a gear whilst shifting from right turn to kinda sharp left turn and not forgetting to cancel my indicator at the same time.

Experience is everything, i guess is what im trying to say... lol
  15. A1) Staying in first and rolling the throttle on gently is best. If that's not working for you then take off in first, quickly upshift, then turn the bike.

A2) Stay wide, you're turning in too soon. You shouldn't be tightening up the turn until you see the exit, if it's appropriate to tighten up at all. Comming out tight sets you up fort the next corner if it turns the other way. You wouldn't do it at all if the next corner is the same direction as the last. :)
  16. Generally speaking, changing gears mid corner is not ideal technique. (One should hold a gear through the corner to keep the bike stable)
    However, nothing is etched in granite, and for the circumstances you detailed, I see no problem with changing gears through the turn if you need to, providing you have the necessary bike handling experience to manage it safely/correctly. Otherwise, stay in first and hold that gear until you are exiting.

You have the theory correct, but each corner is different. It IS quite acceptable to stay in the centre of the lane through any corner, if you are just cruising along. However, you are going to need to get used to using as much of your lane as you safely can, as your speeds ramp up, so that you can take advantage of all that extra space you have. :)

On a large sweeper, at relatively low speeds (speed limits), you can easily sit in the middle of the lane, but if you are at high speed, it will become more important to start out wide and stay there until you have the exit in view (or you know the corner, and the correct apex), then countersteer to bring yourself into the apex, for a correct exit.
    If you are fairly new to riding, stick to the middle of the lane for now, or if you want to practice the correct method...use the 1/3rds rule. Stay out wide, but 1/3rd in from the edge, come into the apex from there, then your exit line should be aimed at about 1/3rd in from the centreline.

(That's it - briefly)
  17. 1. On big intersections i change up mid-corner, smaller ones i put up with first.. So long as your lean-angle and speed are suitable for the choice, it should be fine. Just remember to be smooth and gentle on the clutch :)
  18. Oh and 2. I generally stick to middle of the lane and just follow the curve around if i'm new to the section. Often corners also tighten suddenly near the end, which forces you across the centreline if you're pushing right into the apex and carry too much speed out of it.. But yea like someone said, this can make it hard to keep up on group rides if you're unfamiliar. But then again, you've gotta know when to know you're pushing your limits too..