Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

turning Tips

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by kage, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ok, so, i ride a CBR 250 RR, second hand which means worn tires. heres my problem, the front tire seems fine but the rear is pretty worn down the centre and squared off, like its mainly been ridden in a straight line.

i've noticed that when cornering i try and counter steer the bike so it leans nicely, but before i know it the rear feels like its rolling out, not really sliding. just wondering what peoples views are, getting a new rear tire soon, but im not sure if its my technique causing the slide or just the tire. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Especially tips on doing it right!

2. Hi K,

I've recently changed over my rear tyre as it had worn more in the middle than on the sides and had lost its "stickiness".
    In my experience, it seems that the quicker you can get over the ridge the less of the rolling out effect. Its taken a while to get the hang of that, but a little more effort on the countersteer helps me to work around it.
    Having said that, no such problems on the new Mich Pilot Power.

3. I'd invest in a new tyre , the feeling you are getting is probably the tyre moving from the "flat" profile to the good rubber on the side .Sort of like trying to corner with car tyres on your bike :shock: That sudden change in angle gives the feeling of the bike falling or losing grip. It does nothing for a riders confidence and I reckon it makes a good corner bad.
    As for your cornering technique , sounds like you've got the right idea, "where you look is where you go" knees in on the tank ,etc.
    Hope this helps !

cheers Michael
  4. Get a new tyre. I had the same thing on my GSXR - a tyre with a worn ridge on it that would throw me into a hideous lean angle. New tyre = great bike!!
  5. It's also possible that the tyre is old - if you haven't replaced it since you got it, then who knows how long it's been on there? If this is the case, it may have hardened and it won't be as sticky as it should be. New tyres for a 250 aren't really expensive, so it's probably worth replacing if it's not feeling right.
  6. There are little indicators inside the tread of your tyres, once they start to become worn down to the little indicators, it's time for a new tyre. They're only about $150 for a rear one, fitted and balanced. Just be careful on the new tyre, cause it still can be greasy off the mould.
  7. Another factor is tyre pressure. If the pressures to high or low the tyre is going to effect the corner in a big way!

cheers Michael
  8. always check the manual, the bike frame or the tire wall itself for the correct tyre pressures. 9 times out of 10 tyre pressure is the reason for uneven tire wear.

Tyres are the one thing from my past experience I weill never scrimp on again... as soon as the don't feel right or wear funny, get new ones or you will probably crash... well maintaned tyres and suspension can cave your live.
  9. hey guys im interested in this concept of countersteering help me out?
    I got a FZR250 and i find it really hard to do tight turns namely cuz of its crap turning circle and the fact that it will stall at low revs. Are you suggesting that I turn the steering wheel the opposite way while leaning into the corner to get around smoothly?
  10. As someone with only minimal experience on a bike my understanding is that turning the wheel slightly in the direction opposite from the way you want to turn helps the bike drop into the corner without having to throw it over.

Not sure whether it works when you want to stand it up as well as I haven't been brave enough to try it :p

11. Only at over 20km or so, at low speed the bike will respond normaly to steering like a car. All the sportsbikes are hard to do u-turns with, hard to ballence.

To test countersteering, ride along at 60km, push the right bar forward very slightly, the bike will lean to the right.
    When the bike leans it turns.

You will already be counterstearing when cornering at speed, you just dont realise you are doing it :)

To control the bike at low speed keep the throttle steady at about 3000 rpm, keep friction on the rear brake and ride the cluch. Just let it slip, it wont wear out, dont let it all the way out or you will take off. You will get the hang of it with just a little practice.
  12. ahh kay, how about U-Turns and tight turns on sports bikes does anyone have any tips? I dropped my bike yesterday when I needed a circumference of almost 40m to do a U turn which was eventually gonna hit the gutter of my calder-sac anyway =\. I got it a bit better now but still a little sketchy.
    I have to do it really slow cuz the bike has no drive in low revs and i just have to hold in the clutch and coast around a slow u turn then start up again when I come out of the corner ... really haven't perfected that yet. I'm starting to think I chose a pretty unforgiving bike for a learner lol.
  13. Head down to a car park or something, draw a circle on the ground in chalk and just ride around it until you can turn at a reasonable speed. Reduce circle size, rinse, repeat.

Maybe include figures of eight as well.
  14. You mean you DON"T just spin the back wheel and do half a doughnut??
  15. Practice makes perfect :D It is a hard bike but your ballence will improve with practice, dont let droping it get you down.
    Find a big carpark where you can do circles comfortably without worying about the gutter, as you build confidence your circles will get tighter.

Dont worry, you will get the hang of it :)
  16. Try to keep the clutch at biting point to control acceleration, sit back with your weight off the bars and use the back brake to control your speed (the front brake upsets the geometry of the bike).

Sports bikes are not particularly good for u-turns (ever seen a Ducati turning circle?), but if you can master it on one, you can u-turn on anything.
  17. thanks guys, I'll tryout the woolies carpark tonight :D
  18. Didn't somebody from MTA post a little while ago, offering advice/ riding tips? Maybe he can offer something further, if he's around?
  19. Another helpfull hint is to look to where your turning, keep your eyes to the horizion, ie dont look at the ground. Another thing that I found usefull when learning is to squeeze your knees against the tank as you are conering, this combined with looking to where your turning and countersteering helps you body go with the flow of the bike till you get use to the lean
  20. basically to do u turns, constant engine speed is the key. because of the camber of the road and the steering of the bike, if you try and go around as you would any other corner, you'll go wide.

the trick is to fool the bike into thinking it is going uphill, and not just coasting along.

load up the engine with a couple of thousand revs, then use your rear brake to control your speed. Keep the throttle constant, if you need to speed up/slow down, use the rear brake. as nearlyempty said, leave the front brake alone. i have seen people almost scrape knees in a controlled fashion at very low speeds using this method.

practice this trick and you'll be able to do u-turns figure 8's as well in no time.