Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Turning right.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tunelliner, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Hi all

no matter what I've done. I seem to have some trouble turning right :(. Well I mean I have trouble cranking it over on the right. Are there any suggestions that would be useful in helping me to overcome this problem and gain some confidence?

I've been to a track day and that has done wonders. I have no problem cranking it over but once I'm out and about on the street I just seem to lose heaps of confidence.
  2. Found something you wrote in another thread :wink:

Yesssss, I'm being a bit of a SA here :roll: :p

3. haha

no no I have no trouble doing it if its slow.. but I have trouble cranking it right over when compared to turning left
  4. Thanks for being good-humoured about me being so cheeky :p

I reckon you'll get much better advice anytimesoon from wiser heads, than from this SA :grin:

... who's learning fast, but by no means 'qualified' to give cornering advice just yet! :roll: :grin:
  5. to overcome the problem, you must first understand why the problem exists.
    not trying to be all zen, but there is a reason why you are having troubles with the right but not the left and until you know why, you wont overcome it.
  6. Just take it easy on the street, keep it largely within your comfort level. There's no trophy or sponsorship deal on the line.

By all means push yourself a little if you deem it safe to do so blabla, not you're mum haha. But there really is nothing requiring you to crank mad lean in public. Take it easy and progress at you're own pace.
  7. hmmmmmmmmmmm

I always ride within my comfort level on the streets, but I just sort of want to change my lines when turning right. I feel I'm running too much of a tight-line going right. Long higher speed sweepers I have no trouble choosing what lines I run, but its the tighter faster stuff I usually run very close to the centre line. Hmmm maybe its because of the psyche that if I make a mistake I'll run off road as opposed to going left if I make a mistake I still have some margin for error.
  8. In my understanding most riders have a preferred side (or maybe this is just for new riders). Personally I've found that more practice on the non preferred side works wonders in establishing a greater comfort level & balancing out confidence.

It also sounds like your turning thru the corner without counter steering? There are tonns of threads with regards to this... off hand here's one

Good luck & enjoy the practice
  9. do you use reference points and turn in points as in TOTW or are you a big picture rider?
  10. If your a counter-steerer and aware of it i believe this is going to be your problem. (we all counter steer, that's just the way bikes work)

When you push on the bars to go left your right hand is relaxed and free to control the throttle with relative ease, this also relaxes your shoulders, back, etc etc.

If your turning right, your pushing with the right and trying to control the throttle with the right and getting a little anxious about the whole thing.

Relaxing your shoulders a little and pulling with your left just a little will leave your right hand to relax and control the throttle.

Your just overloading your right hand side with information. Spread the load a bit. You'll find you have more time/concentration to spend on grip level, road condition, hazards, correct line.
  11. Out of pure curiosity, which glove are you putting on first?
  12. I don't understand what a big picture rider is but I do always look up ahead where i want to go

mmm i might be a good idea to take it a bit slower today haha

Oh Joel ... I'm not sure but I do put my left arm first into the jacket :p
  13. :rofl:
  14. its when you sort of look at the corner as a whole and choose your line, bit like you do in a car. all intuition.

with reference points as you approach the corner you choose a spot on the road where want to turn and crank it over when you get there. bit like an imaginary cone on the road. then you have another point at the apex you aim for then another at the exit. look at TOTW. the first one has a lot on it.
  15. If you stay in the LH wheeltrack on a RH corner, you can see further through the corner..this might help?

This also keeps your head way from the centre line, which when a vehicle comes towards you could be causing problems?
  16. The last post about staying left approaching right handers is good advice.

You also need to practice holding a chosen line, so that you can follow an exact arc of your choosing through a bend. It's helpful to practice positioning your bike on the road by aiming at markers (discolourations, dried oil patches, whatever) on the road surface to the point that you can direct the bike at will with just a slight pressure on the appropriate bar, or a pull on the opposite bar if too tight a grip is hampering your smoothness on the throttle. Once you feel you've got precise steering sorted, you're in a better position to overcome your fear of running off the road on a right hander by looking through the corner, not at the apex, and letting the bike flow more smoothly through the turn.

I also have a feeling that many riders don't like right handers because they can no longer use their back brake to wash off excess speed, as trail-braking turning right requires you to have your foot under the leaning bike. Part of mastering any corner is to remember that "slow in, fast out" works well on the road as well as the track (okay, the track requires maximum mid-corner speed, but not at the expense of exit speed). Slowing your entry just a little gives you more options if things start to go wrong, or circumstances change, as they do often on the road.

Get your braking sorted early in the manoeuvre, so that you can get smoothly onto the throttle once your eyes and instincts have chosen the right entry point, spotted the best path through the corner and worked out the ideal exit destination.
  17. thanks guys

practice practice practice I guess..

I do come in on the left appraoching right handers.. its just that i keep hitting the "apex" of the corners instead of staying wider and potentially not hitting any cars coming the other way lol

I do look through the corners (big picture rider) but i still hit the "apex"

ah well

gonna go out this week and have a blat just to try fix this
  18. suspect you are turning in too early. if you use a turn in mark you can progressively move it further into the corner until it is right.
  19. If you were left handed, you'd find the right handers easy and the left handers difficult.

Everyone has a preferred side, which is usually the opposite of the hand you write with. Only thing you can really do is practice your lines and build your confidence on tilting the bike over in that direction. The more you practice, the smaller the gap between both sides will get.

Try getting into a carpark and do an oval in a clockwise motion, progressively getting slower and tighter. It'll help improve your balance and give you a better idea of how much you need to lean for certain corners, before you really start practicing on the streets.

Get a cone in that carpark and visualise it as the apex. Approach it at various speeds and get your line right. As said earlier it either sounds like you're turning too early, or you're leaning in too hard and not straightening up early enough. It'll all come with time, but the only solution is to practice it.
  20. I agree completely but you can look through the corner and still use your peripheral vision to check the apex and other reference points.