Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Turning from single lane into multiple lanes [AUS]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Minderbinder, Apr 20, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

Maybe the answer differs from state to state depending on the road rules, but based on the above situation:
    * Vehicle A has a green light to turn right onto the dual carriageway.
    * Vehicle B is turning left from a slip lane.

The right-of-way seems obvious - because the slip lane is effectively an uncontrolled intersection, vehicle B must give way to the right (including vehicle A). This rule is summarised in the ACT Road Rules handbook as follows:

To me there is one complication, however - In this case vehicle A is crossing multiple lanes to enter the left-hand lane. I was under the impression that vehicle A must first enter the right-hand lane to complete their turn, followed by an *indicated* lane change to the left. Similarly, when turning left from a single-lane into a multi-lane road, one should enter the far left lane. If this is true, then vehicle B in the above situation should be free to enter the left-hand lane (with due care). The only problem is that I can't seem to find any support for this theory in the Road Rules. Anyone care to help out?
  2. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that vehicle A has right of way in all situations with that turn, and vehicle B must give way.
  3. I THINK Mindbender is right, and this situation occurs at one of my local intersections and it drives me nuts. When I learned to drive I had it drummed into me that yiu must FINISH your turn in the same lane in which you started it. As far as I know that is still the case. In this case vehicle A should not be turning from the centre lane to the nearside lane, but must enter the centre lane of the road into which he is turning. If he wishes to enter the nearside lane, he must indicate and carry out that lane change as a separate manoeuvre.
  4. vehicle A has to cross 3 lanes to get to the far lane, that gives vehicle B plenty of time to zip in front. thats how canberrans roll :LOL:

in all serious, i cant imagine why that car would be crossing all the lanes to get to the far lane. its just an unlikely situation that needs careful common sense rather than a rule book

5. +1
  6. In theory B should be facing a Stop/Give Way sign (or lines on the road) but also I'm pretty sure there is a separate rule about slip lanes in that it countermines the left turn before right turn rule.
  7. It used to be the case that you had to turn into the left or right lane depending on which way you turned, but that's no longer the case. The law was changed in 2000 bringing all states into line to avoid confusing tourists during the Olympics. As it stands now, you can turn from a single lane into any lane of your choice. However, if you turn from a multi lane road onto another multi lane road, you must hold your lane position until you get through the intersection. :)

In the scenario above, the car in the slip lane would have to give way to the other vehicle regardless of lane choice and move only when safe to do so. :)
  8. Common Sense hey???
    I have been in the outside of two lanes turning right into a road with 3 lanes, and not only been pushed to the far left lane, but almost into the gutter by a mindless B!tch who seemed to have missed the common element in common sense.
    The reality of common sense is that it is not that common.
  9. Am I missing something? I assumed the top two horizontal lanes were heading left to right, and the bottom two - right to left.

Anyway, plus one for the do it quickly Car B
  10. It's a pretty common situation at selected intersections. At one intersection near where I used to live, 9 out of 10 people in the position of vehicle A wanted to make a left-hand turn shortly after. I used to get stuck in the slip lane for extended periods giving way to this traffic.
  11. Car A is heading for the wrong lane. AFIK you must turn into the nearest lane then indicate to move lanes.
    That would give B clear access to the road at the same time.
  12. Seany's right, I think you'll find.
  13. No longer the case, as I said earlier. :)
  14. ... because there is none.

Its another one of those rules made for people who can't follow rules anyway, so why not design a rule they can follow by ensuring it doesn't say what you should do.

Albrecht's Law - "Intelligent people, when assembled into an organization, will tend toward collective stupidity" most certainly applies when it comes to our wonderful law making institutions.