Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Turning CBR1000 Into a Solo

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Croc, Oct 3, 2005.

1. I know the legalities required by the QLD Roads, however anyone out there made their CBR into a solo? "Removing" the rear pegs - easy. Main hassle is getting(???) a cowl or something for the shorter seat. Possibility of a shorter seat is not good. Anyway around it would be good. "Spare" seat would be useful I s'pose.
    Any advice??????

2. I have been thinking for a while of starting a thread on this whole 'single seat rego' thing. We don't have it in WA, and frankly I don't understand the logic. It seems to say that 2 people on 1 bike have more impact on the road/environment that 2 people on 2 bikes. The world over, governments are trying to encourage car-pooling and less single occupier travel. Why encourage it in a car and penalize it on a bike? I just don't get it.

3. It only says that 1 person on a bike represents 1/2 the risk of injury/ medical cost than 2 possibly would.
    Therefore: Greatly reduced premiums.
    Nothing wrong with that, I guess...
  4. Yes, that makes sense. I assume therefore, that you can get a 1,2,3,or 4 seat rego for a car?
  5. Sure, give 'em a call :LOL:
  6. No inci, because you can't DISABLE the extra non-driver seats in a car, but you can disable the pillion seat on a bike! You don't really believe that insurance companies haven't already covered this sort of loophole do you? :D:
  7. Hmmm. I guess pulling all the seats out of my car to save a couple of bucks in rego could be considered an economic & rational move. :LOL: Not.
  8. How much is it to register a bike for 2up in Qld?? for WA I paid $212 for 12 months......how much less does it cost if you go solo over here??
  9. Paid rego yesterday. $364 inc CTP :evil:
    Not totally sure of solo price, but am ensured that it is bulk cheaper.

Back to original Q, anyone offer any advice on the seat/cowl issue?????
  10. Because of the age of the bike and the fact that original seat cowls will be rare (if made at all), it would be easiest IMO to retrofit a newer seat unit, and swap between the two.

This doesn't have to be an expensive excercise, you can pick up race rear units for buger all and fit some cheap lights to it. Alternatively, you could make a fibreglass mould from your existing cowl, paint it up and whammo, solo unit.