Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Turn 1 Phillip Island..... how to?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by paul_b, May 10, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    What is everyones advice on tackling turn 1 at the island?
    I think its the place I can make up the most time by far, prob 2 seconds at least.
    The problem I have is judging speed when braking from 240+, I always seem to overbrake. I think this is partly due to being a semi naked bike and the old head gets rattled around a fair bit. I have no probs judging speed when accelerating but braking is a different story. I feel like if I accelarated up to the corner I would probably do about 30km/h faster!
    Is there any exercises people use to help this?

2. Just more practice, probably. The more laps you do, the better you will get.
  3. I've only been at PI twice...once with a ride day and once racing. On both times, I was still getting used to my bike so the following "techniques" were mainly trialled to get used to the handling of the bike, so not sure if it is a correct way or a dumb way. Bike is a VFR400...so not sure how fast I was going down the straight, but I am sure I was in 6th most of the time down the straight.

I was using the markers on the road to figure out when to turn...I believe those are the braking/corner markers to notify how far left before the corner?

I have tried two ways into the first corner. First is releasing the throttle just before or at the second marker, shift gear down one while positioning body and then leaning in with a bit of throttle to keep a bit of speed...tried this most of the time and manage to get through the first corner pretty quick...managed to overtake a few bikes through the outside, though my lines were all over the place.

My second attempt was full throttle until I pass second marker...about half way between last and second marker. Use my brakes to wash out a bit of speed while gearing down and then a bit of throttle while going into the corner.

I preferred the first attempt because it felt much smoother and some how more natural, also left me more room for error just in case I was going in a little bit too hot, a tap of the brakes would have slowed me down enough for it.

I am no means a good track rider/racer, so I have no clue on what's right or wrong...I am still learning so I am also keen to hear some more advice on this :D.

phong =P~
  4. On the SV, go beyond the 100m marker, roll off, down one gear, tip in. No brakes. I would regularly sail past big bikes into T1 on the SV, but this is a bike set up for racing. Be at the most left hand part of the circuit and don't turn until you are past the pit lane exit. Bear in mind that the pit lane exit is also part of the circuit. This is a great position for a quick lap, shite for defending your position on the track. Thanks Marcus!

On the 1000rr, at about 150m, down two, no brakes, tip and turn. Took ages to get that confident. The quick guys are going at least 50m beyond me before even considering rolling off. But then they have a talent level I don't.

On the Tuono, beyond the 150m, down two, tip in, no brakes. Use the slipper to control hop into the corner and the wide bars to help turn.

What are you trying to achieve? No point in binning it at a track day and not a bike as fantastic as the Aprilia. Just go and have fun and show a few of the sports bikes that you don't need a faired bike to go quick (on my 2006 Tuono I saw 257kmh on the v-max indicator). Nothing funnier that going past other litre bikes using the great turning and brakes on the naked Aprilia.
  5. I've only been to PI once and that was late last year on my KTM Super Duke, so a similar enough bike to yours.

I would keep the throttle pinned to the 100m marker then sit up and gear down. And almost every time, I'd curse myself for not holding it open longer! I would see 235 to 240 indicated but we had strong winds comming off the water both days.

From memory we were there very soon after the MotoGP round and I recall seeing the darkies left by those guys as they powered on after apexing T1 :shock:
  6. First up, cover your speedo.

Secondly, approach the corner slower so you don't have to use your brakes. As you remove worrying about braking, you have more attention to pay to the corner and what you are doing, this will clean up your lines and get you judging a good speed with your eyes and not the speedo.

As you get more comfortable, pick up your speed and move the point at which you are getting off the throttle closer to the apex. When you are as fast through the corner as you are comfortable with, work backwards from there to get a braking point, if you need one.
  7. Or...

head down the straight sixth gear, back off 1/4 throttle as you dip in and then get straight back on the gas and pass all the bigger bikes. :)

But as soon as you add about another 475-875cc you might need to adjust that technique slightly.
  8. Just a bit ...... bloody stinkers..... :p
  9. you need to use brake markers, and pay attention to when you brake, then determine if you can do it later.

you really shouldnt be paying attention to your speedo.
  10. the first time I was onthe track, someone was telling me about which markers he use for braking and i tried to use that.

BAD MISTAKE! Those markers were WAY too late for me!! I lived.

Depending on what bikes you are riding, there shouldnt be too much braking at turn one. the last turn leading to the straight and then turn 1 is where you get your adrenaline pumping
  11. Thanks for the replies.
    I don't look at the speedo except once i've come out of turn one thinking 'damn to slow again!' expletive expletive!!!
    I dont use the brakes, but must wash off speed alot faster than I think.
    And then there is the head rattling bit.
    When I tried a CBR 600 on the honda ride day, I found I could keep my head down out of the wind and therefore my concentration better. The sit up and beg position doesn't really suit that. Also every time I go down there seems to be about a 60km/h gale coming up the straight.
  12. I just did California Superbike school last Tuesday, coming down the straight top speed 280, wash off some speed at 100 mark, about the pit exit tip the front and roll on the throttle again and keep rolling as you go through the corner. The school was awesome. Would recomment it.
  13. And just to follow on from the advice thus far, once committed to the turn, Do NOT look at the white line to the left of the track... you will end up there VERY quickly. :-w

14. I've done a couple of ride days at the PI and many many many "free laps" back in the 80's due to poor security back in those days and my advice is to always stay on the black bit. If you're on the green bit in winter or on the brown bit in summer then you've done something wrong.
  15. always good to use a little brake on the way in. It dips the front a little more and allows for an easier turn in
  16. How may fingers?, one or 2?
  17. 8!

It helps if you're only doing 220, makes for a much nicer experience.
  18. Are you from Tassie, Cejay?
  19. Depends on when you shut off... I always use 2, but then again - we are travelling at about 300 on the way in and shut off at about 120m :wink:
    (or somewhere thereabouts - after the double white lines on the left and just a tad before the single line)

*edited coz I can't spell to save myself today*