Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tunes on the Road - upgrading to CB comms

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by maestro, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I've done some iron-butt trips interstate recently, and come to cherish my mp3 player and Sony sound-isolating earbuds for those long trips.

I've read a lot of arguments for and against, the "distraction" and "enjoyment" arguments and, well, it seems clear what I decided - at least as far as out-of-the-city is concerned.

Some friends are going on a road trip and taking CB's, and I'm tempted to go the wildly out-of-proportion step of getting an autocom rig which can integrate CB comms and music, and chuck in a phone hands-free for good measure.

The thing is, I hardly want it if they can't offer a good way to use aforementioned sound-isloating earbuds (I have enough tinnitus already thankyouverymuch) - the website snivels about voiding warranty if the earbud-adapter cable is used with music.

The price is a bit of a bummer too, about $800 by the time all's bought.

Does anybody have some suggestions on how to do better?
  2. waving hands and flashing headlights would surely be a lot cheaper, if a little less definite, and just keep your music
    The headphones in the link are the cheapest Sonys; what's the benefit of the more expensive ones?
    Which mp3 player do you use, and do you have to amplify it for use on the road?
  3. Well, the expensive ones are a marginal improvement, and have a short lead and extension cord, to keep the spaghetti under control.

Noise - wind noise in my helmet is dangerous to hearing, has this high-pitched sort of crackle to it. The stock silicon eartips on the fontopia buds stop that, but its still a bit marginal. The eartips here are reputed to work better on fontopia's - or just buy the earbuds in that link if you can stomach the cost.

Most headphones are capable of going higher than is really advisable - the trick is to keep the wind out so you can turn 'em down.
  4. YIKES $149 for earpieces!!
    I always wear earplugs even for short trips, for hearing protection, (although I wish I'd have known about them in '74 when I started riding)
    That was really my question; not whether or not you can listen to music, but do the earbuds act as effectively as proper earplugs in keeping wind noise OUT??
  5. Yeah - there's somewhat of a comfort issue after some hundreds of kms, but less than my butt so what the hey...

The sony buds do a good enough job, but fall over just a bit on the bass-reproduction side of things (none to speak of in a high-noise evironment unless the volume is high enough to defeat the purpose).

If that's really important enough, that is where you'd take the step up from sony to the ones linked in my last post.. those will be US dollars too, heh heh.

I reckon I would go the etymotics, next time around - got a taste of a good thing.

I hope someone can point at a cheaper alternative than autocom to plug into though - they bill themselves as premium stuff and charge accordingly.
  6. Only if you tell them :wink:

You need to watch out not to turn the volume up on any of the headphone/ear buds firstly because you can blow them up very easily as they aren't designed to handle too much power through them and secondly you could end up doing the same to your hearing which is is important as you get older.

Just ask some of the OFARC members on here :-$
  7. What's that you say? You'll have to speeak up, sonny, I didn't hear ya.......
  8. No. Not as good as 'proper' earplugs, but quite effective.

Disclaimer: every bike/helmet/rider combination produces different wind noise levels, what works for me right now might not work for you.

I use the slightly more expensive Sony earplugs, generally on a minidisk player. The minidisk gives me up to three hours of music to a disk. I stop for fuel more often than that, and another dozen minidisks takes up very little space and gives me some choice.

A word of warning... _never_ use an MP3 player on shuffle mode on a group ride if one of the songs on the player is "Alice's Restaurant" The third time it comes up can be annoying...

I had the cheaper ones, but they eventually died. I don't think the more expensive ones are much better, unless you are using a device where the shorter cord is helpful. (they come with an extension)

I find they are also excellent value on aircraft. I do a few overnight flights each year, and the Sony fontopia earplugs, with an airline adapter plug let me block out cabin noise to either watch a movie or (with the help of a specially prepared minidisk of relaxing music played low) get some sleep.
  9. I use my creative Zen MP3 player for any and all trips... 24 Hr battery life, 10,000 odd songs, and it shuffles without repeating :p

Im thinking of opting over a pair of neck fitted headphones and mounting them into my helmet tho, ear buds are known to cause more hearing issues than headphones, pretty much coz theyre shoved inside your ear instead of just near or over it.
  10. Just some futher food for thought.

My boyfriend has a comms unit thing, with rider/pillion, music, cb and phone functions. The system he has wasnt cheap, however is very effective as the speakers for it are not an in the ear bud style, they are small flat speakers placed just behind the helmet lining (and the microphone is small and sits just in front of your mouth against the helmet). From memory the system also has an option which turns the music up slightly for when your moving. The biggest advantage to this system is that you can still wear noise reducing earplugs, either foam (which are certainly not the best protection for long rides) or moulded (which if you get the correct ones are designed to reduce noise but not affect the quality so you still hear the music how its supposed to sound, very commonly worn by musicians). I know his system was i think around $500 but you can get other systems with less options (eg one that does just music and phone or whatever) that are cheaper.
    The other thing i like about the system he has is that if you are listening to music, and your phone rings, the music is paused and the phone call automatically answers. Having been the person on the other end a few times, the sound quality is suprisingly good (better then some of the normal handsfree's)

Anyway, that's just another option to think about.

11. Were you referring to the "NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES MDRNC11" on the Sony site?. They look interesting. I use NC headsets in aircraft and they work very very well. Might be worth investing $299 for clear iPod 'sounds' on long rides.
  12. inci, check the post above about the Etymotics, they look like the centipede's suspenders to me.....
  13. Don't be silly.....my mother told me never to buy anthing I can't pronounce.
  14. Well, to resurrect an old thread....I have borrowed/tried a whole bunch of different solutions since this thread was new, and have arrived at a combination, which I think for $104, is the dogs bollocks.....

Item 1. Genuine Apple earbuds with wired remote. Gives you control over your Ipod while riding (or flying), $75.

Item 2. Griffin 'earjams', a simple idea giving an incredible improvement in sound when fitted to the above. They hugely increase volume, boost bass, and they stay in place when putting your helmet on,$29

So there ya go...trust me, I'm a salesman...(only jokin')
  15. Would these fit standard/normal/non-ipod earphones?