Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by WKD60, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Evening All,

Wanted to share my (limited) experience using TuneECU on my StripleR.

So when I was researching my bike upgrade, I had narrowed it down to the Street Triple or... uh... the Street Triple, and I stumbled on TuneECU. I couldn't believe what I was reading, a totally Free, DIY tuning solution for the Triumph's? Could it be true?

Well, except for the cost of the OBD2 cable, yes, it's free. So I jumped on Ebay and bought myself a cheap cable, advertised to work with TuneECU, from China. 3 weeks later it turned up in the mail, which coincidentally was a day after I picked up the StripleR. I had also downloaded the software and factory maps, the standard 91 RON map, and the 91 RON Slip-on map (for the factory option Arrows).

I was keen to see what tune was in the bike, fully expecting the standard tune, but a piece of me thought that a custom tune might be lurking in there as the bike had had a lot of money spent on it by the previous owner. To me, this was not a comforting thought. How good is the tune? Was it done by someone reputable? Was it done on a dyno, or on the road? If I did find a custom tune, I'd have to pay someone to put it on a dyno and check it over.
    I was also keen to fix the speedo which was roughly 5% inaccurate, according to my GPS.
    (My biggest bug bear with my old SFV650. It was 10% out and my local Suzuki dealer couldn't calibrate it. Grrrrrr)

So, I install the drivers, plug the cable into the laptop and then the bike, turn the ignition on, and Voila!

Would not connect. After a few hours of research, trying countless different drivers, I came to the conclusion that the cheap Chinese cable I'd purchased was in fact a land fill filler, and nothing more. (If anyone wants it, in the off chance you think you can get it working, PM me. You pay postage and it's yours. It's not in the bin... yet)

So, my research tells me not to cut corners, and get the proper cable from Lonelec in the UK. So I ordered the cable for £16 delivered, and waited. Today it turned up.

First things first, installation of drivers provided on the website. Check.
    Plug the cable in, and check that it's correctly recognized by Windows. Check.
    Following the instructions, plug into OBD port of bike, turn on ignition with kill switch off. Hit connect... Red light flashes, then orange (Already an improvement on the last cable) wait for the green.... and wait... Back to red...
    Oh C'mon!! Damnit!! Just work you expletive mother expletive expletive!! :mad:
    I don't know why (my natural fault finding kicking in I guess), but I turned the kill switch back on. Fuel pump primes... Light goes orange again... Then... Green. Connected. :woot:

So, first task, suck the tune out of the bike and have a look. What seemed like an hour later (10 mins) it's done, and it's the... Factory 91 RON slip-on tune. Ok, that's good! That's the best outcome TBH. Happy with that. So a quick play with the settings... Lift the rev limit from 12500 to 13k... And upload it into the bike. Done in under a minute. Disconnect.

Next, take the bike out to the highway to check the speedo, and figure out how much I need to adjust it by. So, 100 indicated on the GPS, between 104-105 on the speedo. Head back home, and enter an adjustment of 4.5% less. Upload it into the bike. Disconnect.

Take the bike back out to check out my handy work. Pretty well bang on, speedo now accurate. To me, the cable just paid for itself 10x over, to have a solid, accurate speedo!

Maybe in the future I'll get it tuned, but to know it has the factory slip on tune in it is a weight off my mind.

And there you have it. My experience with TuneECU. The software also supports the usual OBD2 functions like checking and clearing error codes, live monitoring of data feeds and diagnostic/system test tools. I haven't sat down and checked it all out as yet. Oh, did notice you can also adjust the quick shifter cutout time. Neat. Pretty flash for FREE!

If you have a Triumph (or KTM, Aprilia, Ducatti, Benelli, Moto Guzzi) then TuneECU is definitely worth a look. Oh, and save yourself the hassle, and visit Lonelex.co.uk to get yourself the appropriate cable.

Thanks for reading!
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Good work WKD60WKD60 and nformative to boot!
    Yep stay away from chinese clone cables...unlikely to ever be succesful:(
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TuneECU is great for bums like us to play around with (ignoring the fact that on ABS Triumphs you can't correct the fcuking speedo because it reads off the front ABS sensor). But if you actually want to get your bike dyno tuned by somebody who knows what they're doing, it's apparently too much of a pain in the arse to use.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Is your ABS still giving you grief?
  5. Nope!

I pulled the fuse out.
    • Funny Funny x 1