Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tubeless valve replacement

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Rockjob, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I've been having some issues with my rear tyre deflating quicker than usual.
    42psi to 32 in a week and the week after 22.
    This afternoon I pumped it up to 42 again and threw water all over it. Turns out the rubber seal at the base of the valve is leaking. I only got a new tyre late June so im a bit peeved that it wasnt replaced (Im only guessing they didnt touch it).

I just dont want to try it at home and stuff it up and have a dead flat rear tyre and the mucking around to get it to a bike shop.

Is it easy to do at home? Can it be done without removing the tyre from the rim?
    Also would it be expensive at a bike shop?

Thanks in advance
  2. all the one's I've seen are installed from inside the rim. tyre off.

sorry :facepalm:

3. I wouldnt blame the shop for not checking as it would have held pressure in the shop (10psi in a week is slowish).

Would recommend you pull the wheel off the back throw it in the car and take it to the shop. They are more likely to do a quicker repair on just the rim as opposed to them having to remove the wheel from the bike.

Had the same thing happen on the rear wheel of my GS500 but its a 89 model so thats forgiveable considering the age of it.

Just my 2c