Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tubeless tyre repair kits

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by akin, Nov 27, 2008.

1. hi all,
    i have a small puncture (and can see the nail's head) in my scoots back wheel. i have been reading about tubeless tyre repair kits. has anyone used any before, are they any good, do they effect the balance?
    thanks
    Pq1_ZHl9.

2. Only use them if the hole is in the centre section of the tyre.

I've used 'em a couple of times but i change the tyre as soon as I
    scan afterwards. I guess it's a bit different on a sports bike though.

3. thank you hawklord,

i guess i will take it to a tyre repair shop and keep the kit for emergencies

4. I assume that you mean the "mushroom" type plugs where the hole is reamed out a little and a mushroom placed plug placed into the tyre and held with glue.

They work well if used properly. I've seen one put in the back wheel of a Hayabusa at Robe in SA and it functioned very well all the way back to Melbourne. (and a lot of it was at 'busa type speeds). :LOL:

5. I've used the sticky string type plugs pictured a number of times and left them in till the tyre needed changing. I know that just because it worked for me doesn't mean it's going to work all the time for every one. My reasoning was 1, the puncture was small and in the midle of the tyre,
    2, if it came out it would be the same as getting a puncture.

6. Tyre repairs

Just be wary any tyre repair from the outside of the tyre is only TEMPORARY & should be repaired correctly as soon as possible. The important thing everyone forgets is the tyre needs to be inspected inside for damage that can't be seen outside. I've seen some nasty sh*t happen with poorly repaired tyres over the years. Hey, it's your life when it gets down to it!

7. I agree with him ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^