Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trying to test ride a KTM RC8

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by heffa, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I'm looking to upgrade in a few weeks, most likely a new model, so I'm wanting to do some test rides and research. Top of my list is a KTM RC8, or maybe an RC8R.

And here's the problem. No dealer in Victoria has a demo model, and they're unlikely to have one for some time. Jeffrey KTM in FTGully have an R, but its for sale only, and they wont allow test rides (kinda stupid in my opinion). Even trying to find a second hand one is no good. Only one I can find is ages away from me.

Any suggestions?

2. I wouldn't want to buy a bike like that without a test ride.

I was lucky enough to get a shot of a Superduke the other day, and it didn't feel right at all (coming from il4s). The worst thing is that I really wanted to like it, cos I've been eyeing up Superdukes for a while.

Nice bikes though, the RC8s :) Good luck!
  3. I've always dreamt of getting a CBR600RR, yet I've never ridden one and don't personally know anyone that has one, nor would I expect that even if they did they'd let me test ride it.

I mean, it's the bike I dream about owning, but in a perfect world, I would like to test ride a CBR600, a GSX-R600, an R6 and a CBR1000RR (Just Because)

Only in my dreams.
  4. Tryed Peter Stevens?
  5. #5 Bamm-Bamm, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    This whole not having demo's is pretty ****ing stupid, I can go and test drive an $80k BMW but can't take a $25k bike out?, Who in their right mind is going to take magazine reviews and "trust me" from the salesman and forego a test ride and sign on the dotted line, these dealers need to put the crack pipe down.

FYI I test rode a used RC8 from Jeffrey's in FTG and didn't rate it at all, really wanted to love it as I owned a Superduke and I was sure it was the bike for me...until I rode it. Made the decision to buy the blade a no brainier.
  6. Yeah. Vtwins are a handful.
  7. Give AJ's Motorcycles in Shepparton a call. They are a KTM and Triumph dealer and usually have a few demo bikes out the front. I rode an RC8 there a couple of years ago. There's a pretty good chance you'll get an as good or better deal than you'll find in Melbourne.

Tip: Avoid 40kmh school zones. In fact, avoid town areas altogether, because you'll likely triple the speed limit by opening the throttle in 2nd or 3rd, but it'll only really be half a speeding offence because only one wheel is on the road.

I wouldn't go for the RC8R. It's a brilliant bike, but way track focussed, and the 'regular' RC8 is plenty raw enough.

Great bike, and suprisingly good ergos too.